Measuring Black Pipe

Old 11-27-02, 07:41 AM
lyze
Visiting Guest
Measuring Black Pipe

I need to hook up 2 points using 1" black pipe. I'm wondering if there isa formula to figure in the elbows and thread allowance. The center distance between the pipes is 85-1/2. How much should I allow for the elbows?

Old 11-27-02, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry but........................

Dealing with gas pipeing and installing should be left to a plumber/ hvac / heating / pipe fitter, and not for a do it yourselfer, there is danger involved with this type of work, if you take this the wrong way then that fine, I'm here to protect you and anyone else from causing injury or even death from improper installation of dangerous work.

If you don't know a thing about gas pipeing, don't touch it.

As for anyone else on here, somethings DIY's can do, and gas pipeing is NOT A DIY JOB

I hope others on here will head my words and leave replies on what a DIY can do with gas pipeing as I stated.

This is a rule the I enforce inside the plumbing forum.

I'm more then happy to answer any and all others questions not related the installing gas pipeing.

Old 11-27-02, 08:35 AM
lyze
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the warning on gas lines, but this isn't a gas line. It's a water line for an old barn.

Old 11-27-02, 08:37 AM
Black Pipe?

You talking about Poly Pipe?

Old 11-27-02, 08:41 AM
lyze
Visiting Guest
Nope, it's hard pipe. Have to use hard pipe because of the location, and the critters. Poly keeps getting eatin' thru

Old 11-27-02, 08:45 AM
You should not use black pipe for water, it will rust shut in no time.

Use Soft copper if under ground, if above ground use hard copper Type M or Type L.

Old 11-27-02, 09:20 AM
lyze
Visiting Guest
Copper is a great solution, but back to the original question. How do I measure?

Old 11-27-02, 09:28 AM
Soft copper is easy if underground, screw in the male adaptors, since it's soft copper it is flexable enough, where measurement is not a factor.

The same will apply to hard copper, when you have a change in metal pipe use di-electric unions, the rest is all soldering

Again with copper and the distance you need to run, measurement of the threads is not a factor.

Old 11-28-02, 06:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, if you are intent on using hard pipe since it is just a barn and especially if you are not comfortable soldering... Use galvanized pipe.... same sizes and lengths as black pipe but can be used for water without the quick rusting of black pipe... as to how to measure... you cannot just put 2 elbows and a piece of pipe in between 2 set points like you described... you need to screw the two elbows on first... then take the measurement, go to home depot or lowes and get a piece like 72" long, and then get a union, and then get a selection of nipples that are 12, 12.5, and 13 inches long... with that combination of pipes you can make up the joint you are trying to make...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: