Tub Downspout Repair

Old 11-29-02, 12:31 PM
pcsawyer
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Tub Downspout Repair

When we use the shower now, the downspout is still pouring out roughly 1/8th of the flow. Why isn't it re-directing all of it anymore and can I fix it without tearing out the tile/wall around the fixture?

It's about 20 years old. There are 3 knobs, one for hot, one for cold and one to operate the redirect to shower head.

THANKS!

Old 11-29-02, 05:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, it can be done easily... take off the middle handle of the shower... take out the middle stem with a socket..( they make a special set of these that you can get for around 10 bucks)... then take the stem with you to home depot or lowes or your local plumbing supply and get them to match it up for you... replace the stem and problem is solved...

Remember that only the middle stem can be replaced without turning the water supply to the tub off, so don't do the hot and cold stems without getting the water off first...

And also, that middle stem will sometimes have 2 washers that can be replaced to fix your problem, but other just depend on a metal to metal seal to divert water, so it is just easier to tell you to replace the stem than to go through the different washer combinations you might run into...

Old 06-14-07, 07:12 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tub Diverter repair

I've read the messages about taking off the tub/shower diverter downspout by using an Allen Wrench or just turning the spout counterclockwise. Neither of these two options work for my tub.

My tub's downspout has the slot but no place where an Allen Wrench could be used. There is a rounded metal piece that hangs down from the pipe but I do not see any way to grab hold of that piece and turn it. Plus, I've tried to unscrew the downspout but it doesn't budge. In fact it appears to be wanting to turn the pipe inside the spout with it.

Can you help us figure out how to get the downspout off of our tub?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: