plumbing shower

Old 12-02-02, 03:20 PM
pas
Visiting Guest
plumbing shower

I have 2 handles in shower with a diverter handle (3 total).
They're old design maybe amer std ? One leaks a bit, but OK. Can I replace with a single handle turn type modern system without cutting and soldering behind wall. If so do I need to go to a plumbing suply house for part. If not forget it I will leave it for now. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-02, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where is it leaking, through the spout or where it turns on at?

Old 12-02-02, 05:38 PM
To replace the 3 handle valve with a single handle valve would require getting into the wall and replacing the entire valve. You would have to alter the plumbing to do so also. Two and three handle valves are fed from either the top or the bottom, and single handles are fed from the sides. Sounds like that is more than you care to get into right now, so tell us where the leak is occurring and at least we can help you fix that.

Old 12-07-02, 07:09 AM
pas
Visiting Guest
The three handle shower is leaking some at the hot water handle. Also I need to turn shower divertor 3/4 of the way on - not fully or the water will 1/2 come out the tub spout not the shower.

Old 12-07-02, 07:29 AM
To repair the existing valve, replace both the hot stem and the diverter stem. Shut the water off, probably to the entire house. Remove the handles and the trim escusions. You will then see two nuts where the stems go into the valve. Remove the larger of the two nuts and the stem will come out. (You will probably need a set of plumber's valve sockets to remove the nut.)

Take both stems to a plumbing supply, or a home center with a good selection of replacement stems and get new ones that are identical to the old ones.

Installation of the new stems is just the reverse of the removal of the old ones.