hot water needed tonight!!!!!

Old 12-03-02, 10:35 AM
kmaddox
Visiting Guest
Exclamation hot water needed tonight!!!!!

Guys, Any ideas on what I can do with the hot water heater? I posted a question before but no one has answered....The kids are coming home soon and the hubby won't be far behind. I amy just go to our hardware store and ask those guys....at least I won't have to wait 5 hours for a response....thanks anyway.

Old 12-03-02, 10:47 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What's wrong with it?

Old 12-03-02, 03:56 PM
kmaddox
Visiting Guest
Exclamation new thermostats needed?

I have ran out of time for hot showers in the morning and baths for the kids tonight......The water is slight warm for around 10 seconds then it goes cold when it comes out of the sink. Around November 1 of this year I replaced the elements both top and bottom without any problem and oh was the water hot! We had never had water that hot and it certainly never lasted as long after we all took showers...now we have the same problem again and I am wondering how to fix it myself. I think plumbers charge too much for a job I can do myself. Any ideas would be great....is it a difficult job to change out the thermostats?

Old 12-03-02, 05:24 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Replacing the elements got the hot water back, but now it is gone again? Sounds like it may be the thermostats. They are not hard to replace, but they DO have to be wired properly. The bottom one is easy -- only has two wires to it and two wires in the vicinity. The top one is trickier. First, you need to know how many wires you are dealing with there and get the proper 'stat. Then it is just a matter of reconnecting the wires properly.

Old 12-03-02, 07:27 PM
kmaddox
Visiting Guest
new thermostats are in

I did replace the thermostats this evening now what do I do? Do I hit the reset button after I turn the power back on? How long will it take before I know if i have fixed the problem? Also, when testing the thermostats with the volt meter...the top one read 240...but I cannot get a reading from the bottom one. Is that a problem? Thanks for your help!

Old 12-03-02, 08:54 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It will probably take about 45 minutes to know if you fixd the problem. (Takes an electric W.H. that long to recover.) The voltage reading is normal. Electric water heaters always power the upper element first. Once that element is up to heat, the upper kicks off and the lower is then allowed to come on.

Old 12-04-02, 03:38 AM
kmaddox
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Life with hot water!!! Thanks!:0)

Boy! Does it feel good to have hot water again. I want to thank you all for responding and helping me thru this. I know where to look for help the next time I decide to fix something myself. Have a wonderful holiday! ~Kara

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: