A mouse in my toilet?

Old 12-04-02, 07:41 AM
singlemp
Visiting Guest
A mouse in my toilet?

As a new home owner, I know absolutely nothing about plumbing, but I am eager to learn (it beats paying for a plumber!). My toilet has two annoying problems:

1. After flushing the toilet, a squeaky sound ensues while the water is refilling. Any idea what might cause this?

2. I have to hold the handle down for about 3 seconds for the toilet to flush properly. I have adadpted to this nuisance, but my girlfriend sometimes forgets...next thing I know, I have a stopped-up toilet.

I have a basic home repair book that covers toilet anatomy, but it doesn't help me to trouble-shoot these issues. If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciated it. Many thanks!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-02, 07:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Matt,
1. Replace the toilet tank water inlet valve with a new Fluidmaster 400A float-cup type (about $5-$7 bucks). Just follow the directions that come with it.
2. Shorten the chain on the flapper to where it just allows the flapper to seal fully. If that doesn't do it, replace the flapper. Clean the flapper seat with steel wool or SOS pad.
Do a Search above for additional how-to info. There have been plenty of posts on the same subjects.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 12-04-02, 08:17 AM
singlemp
Visiting Guest
Pardon the repetitive question...

Mike-

Thanks for the great advice. I will stop at the store tonight to get the Fluidmaster. After doing the search for this problem, I realized this question has been asked many times...and the Fluidmaster seems to be a great solution. Next time, I will search before I ask. Thanks again for your help!!

Matt