All my drains clogged??

Old 12-06-02, 07:56 AM
TooHuge
Visiting Guest
All my drains clogged??

I was using the garbage disposal this mournig and noticed that water was filling up in the other side of the sink. Also on the other side of the kitchen in the laundry area that sink was filling up with water. I can get any water down any drain unless I turn on the garbage disposal then it looks like it just forces water down. What kind of drain cleaner is recomended? Also I have one of those very long wire snake drain cleaners, will this work? (not really sure how to use it)

Thanks for any help given!

Old 12-06-02, 08:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sounds like you have a partial clog in the drain line that drains the kitchen and laundry sinks.
If you can find a clean-out plug on it, remove it and snake the line clear. If no clean-out on it, remove a sink trap (put a bucket or pan under it to catch water) and snake out the line from there.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-06-02, 12:09 PM
TooHuge
Visiting Guest
So you are saying that any kind of drain cleaner will not work, or do you just not recomend using them? Also what will the clean out plug look like?

THanks

Last edited by TooHuge; 12-06-02 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-06-02, 02:20 PM
The snake is going to be the only way to get that drain unclogged... Drain cleaner wont do much with the kitchen sink line buildup you are dealing with... get under the kitchen sink and take off the u-shaped piece of pipe and the next piece if you can... run the snake in here and run it as far in as you can about 3 or 4 times... keep it spinning and make sure you work it back and forth as much as necessary to do the most effective job... then put the trap back together and ALL the fixtures should start to drain again... If the length of cable you have is not sufficient, you will know it when you are done... then you can go rent a larger machine if necessary... but 25' is many times sufficient...

Old 12-06-02, 02:38 PM
TooHuge
Visiting Guest
Ok ill give that a try. The snake think I got is just a long cable with a coil at one end for driling into the clog. It also has a metal handle with a screw. I am really not sure how to use it. Its also very long. Got any tips on this for me?

Thanks

Old 12-06-02, 02:42 PM
The cable on that one is meant to go throught the little metal handle with the thumb screw on it... while the cable is fine, the handle is very difficult to use the way it is intended... it would be better to pick up one of the little hand held ones with a handle and a drum that spins... they are MUCH MORE effective... otherwise just put your cable through the offset piece of metal, then use the little metal piece to spin the cable in a little at a time and just keep working it all the way in and all the way back out... Cover your floor with newspaper or a dropcloth since the cable doesnt coil up inside a drum to keep it from going everywhere you are going to get black, nasty-smelling, foulness everywhere...

Old 12-09-02, 07:28 AM
TooHuge
Visiting Guest
Hey thanks a ton for all the help!! I had one of my gf's uncle come down and help me out. He did exactly what you all said. My clog was in the pipe coming into my basement. (or going out I guess) After we drained all the water that was sitting in my pipes. (a ton of it!!) Then we ran the snake in to the pipe and starte to turn it. It eventualy went throug. I was very pleased to know that I did not have to pay to have that done!

Thanks again for all the help!
(This is an excelent forum!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: