Loose Pipe/Drain for Garbage Disposal/Hot Water Line. How do I fix it????

Old 12-06-02, 09:40 AM
fishertwin1
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Loose Pipe/Drain for Garbage Disposal/Hot Water Line. How do I fix it????

Under my sink, the pipe connected to the garbage disposal is loose (it comes all the way out, that loose). I don't want to buy a new disposal because it works fine, but I need to know how to seal it off when it goes back in. Is there a seal I can get, should I get new pipes from the disposal or what, should I clean out any of the debris. I have no idea on what to do, but can do it myself if I am told how to do it and what to buy (I want to keep it cheapest as possible).

Old 12-06-02, 11:30 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depending on the age of the disposal you either have a flat flange pushing on a rubber gasket, that is held in place with two screws or a tapered hole that accepts a flared pipe elbow. Take the old one to to the hardware store and get the exact match. You should be able to use plastic pipe if you do not have it already. Yes clean out any gunk you find. Be sure that the power is off before working on it (duh). Otherwise your description is a bit vauge. Get in there and see what you have. You may just have a loose pipe or a slipnut that needs a new washer. write back with more detail as you need to.

Old 12-06-02, 11:48 AM
fishertwin1
Visiting Guest
This is what I know. It's kind of old I think. It has the thing that you described. This is what I saw. There is a round hole on the dishwasher side of the disposal (where the pipe is inserted). On the inside of that hold is a round (kind of beveled) rubber ring. It looks like what, I would guess, should be sealing the pipe. On the outside of the hole on the disposal is a metal ring with screws on each side. The pipe slips in and out of that. I noticed a lot of gunk on the inside and thought I should clean that out.

So what should I get. I am guessing the pipe is okay. Nothing seems wrong with it. The rings on the inside of the disposal looks a little old. Is that all that I need to replace. How does it insert on and seal the water in? Is there any others things that would add to sealing in the water.

I can't find any sort of directions or pictures on the internet to tell me how to fix it. I am handy and am able to learn whatever, but I need to be told how to do it, in order to fix it. (I am just saying that as a form of information. I don't know technical terms, but I understand what you probably are talking about).

Old 12-06-02, 02:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The piece of pipe that keeps coming out should not have just a plain end on it... The black washer you see needs to be replace but it is designed to first go over the end of the pipe and then the metal piece with the 2 screws holds it in... Once it is installed properly, you should not be able to pull it out... Go to any hardware store and ask for a 1 1/2" TAILPIECE... it will have the properly shaped end on it for that connection... then ask for a disposal washer to fit it... it will make more sense when you see how the washer fits over the tailpiece... By the way you will have to hacksaw the tailpiece to length when you are ready to install it...

Old 12-06-02, 02:48 PM
fishertwin1
Visiting Guest
Is the tailpiece the pipe? Do I really need a new one if it is? The pipe from the cold comes down curves and is connected to the straight pipe into the disposal/hot water. That pipe seems okay. The only thing I would think was wrong was the disposal washer. Am I thinking wrong on this?

Old 12-06-02, 02:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I was following what you were saying until you started switching up with HOT water, COLD water, dishwasher, garbage disposal ...

We are talking ONLY about the drain to the disposal, right? The pipe in the side that drains ALL temps of water is sliding out of the metal ring with the 2 screws... this should not happen... if it had a beveled end, it could have been overtightened and the beveled part broke off... in any case, I would say the pipe is the problem... instead of asking for a tailpiece, just go buy a 1 1/2" pvc p-trap, it will have the washers, and the beveled 90 degree turn you need to hook it up...

Old 12-06-02, 03:06 PM
fishertwin1
Visiting Guest
Sorry to confuse. I just meant to clarify which pipe. Ignore all the pipe talk. The straight pipe into the disposal seems fine. It's straight off of the P-Trap. The pipe doesn't have a beveled edge but the rubber ring inside the disposal does. Maybe I am making this more complicating than it should be.

Old 12-06-02, 05:25 PM
L
Fishertwin1, yes, you are making it more complicated than it really is. A garbage disposal will only have 2 lines connected to it, and they are both drain lines. Near the top (about 2" below the bottom of the sink) there will be a black hose with a hose clamp. That is the drain from the dishwasher. Below that there is a 1-1/2" tailpiece. This is the one that will have the rubber washer around it and is held in place by the plate with the 2 screws, and goes into the P-trap. If I am following you, THAT is the one that is slipping out and leaking. If this is correct, you need to replace the tailpiece and the rubber washer around it. Remove the 2 screws at the garbage disposal, and loosen the nut that connects it to the P-trap. Now you can slide the tailpiece out. What you need to determine is which type of tailpiece you need. There are 2 types. One has a flanged (flat) end, and the other has a beveled end. Once you have the tailpiece out of the garbage disposal, look at the hole the tailpiece goes into. If the edges of that hole are beveled, get the beveld one. If the edges of the hole are square, get the flanged one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: