Help! Remove rust stains from steel bathtub?

Old 12-06-02, 11:03 AM
scottkeen
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help! Remove rust stains from steel bathtub?

Hi,

I have a steel bathtub which is painted and clear-coated (I guess. Smooth shiny clear finish). Sorry, I just don't know the terms...

I left a can of shaving cream in one corner of the tub for a while, and now have a "ring" of rust in that spot.

I've tried scrubbing the spot with Bon Ami scouring powder and a scrub pad, and that still doesn't get rid of it.

I fear that the rust has eaten through the clear-coat, paint, and into the tub steel.

What can I do to repair this?

I have a Dremel tool, am pretty handy, and have lots of time. But I don't have much experience with home repair or paint.

Do I grind down the rust ring to bare metal, then paint it? What about the clearcoat? And, what exactly is that stuff? It's shiny, like the glaze on tile.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by scottkeen; 12-09-02 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-06-02, 11:20 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is a superior cleanser out there called "Zud", yellow can. I always use it to get out rust stains. Try that before getting out the drill.

Old 12-06-02, 11:33 AM
scottkeen
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Paulypfunk
There is a superior cleanser out there called "Zud", yellow can. I always use it to get out rust stains. Try that before getting out the drill.
Thanks for the reply.

Is Zud available from the supermarket or Home Depot?

Old 12-06-02, 11:43 AM
P
I always get it at the supermarket.

Old 12-06-02, 01:52 PM
T
Rust removal

Both Zud and BarKeepers Friend will remove rust. Make a paste with water, apply, let set. Repeat applications may be necessary. These products can be found in the cleaning products aisle at groceries and home centers.

Avoid abrasive cleaners and harsh chemicals on porcelain tubs.

Old 12-09-02, 10:24 PM
scottkeen
Visiting Guest
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I used Bar Keepers Friend, making a paste out of the powder and some water. Smeared it on the rust spots and waited a couple hours then sprayed it away with water.

The rust spots were completely removed.

Bar Keepers Friend = magic powder

BUT...

I've got a big problem from a previous attempt to clean the rust spots (before checking here).

I used Bon Ami scouring powder and an abrasive sponge to try and scrub the rust spots away.

What I did was worse, wearing away the glaze.

Now, there is a dull rough spot on my bathtub.

Is there anything I can do about this to make it smooth and shiny again?

(btw, I picked up a canister of Bar Keepers Friend at Wal*Mart for less than $2 bucks)

Old 12-10-02, 05:49 AM
T
Cleaning porcelain tub

Apply a coat of auto wax to the sides of the porcelain tub to minimize the damaged, dull spot and to provide sheeting action. A coat of wax will help shed water, minerals, and soap scum. Avoid the bottom of the tub where the wax could make it slippery and result in a fall.

BarKeepers Friend is a handy product to have around the house. It has many uses. To learn more about BarKeepers Friend, go to www.barkeepersfriend.com.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: