dishwasher causes noise in pipes

Old 12-06-02, 07:50 PM
stafford
Visiting Guest
dishwasher causes noise in pipes

Shortly after I turn the dishwasher on a loud vibrating noise will start in the pipes. I can make it stop by turning on a faucet somewhere else in the house. It doesn't happen every time I use the dishwasher, but most of the time. Also later during the cycle when the dishwasher begins the rinse cycles there is a short loud noise and single vibration in the pipes.

What is this? And do I need a plumber or a dishwasher repairman?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-02, 02:10 AM
Cool

Sounds like water hammer due to:
A. Dishwasher abrupt water shutoffs, and
B. Loose hot water pipe in the wall.
You can either clamp the pipe better and add wood wedges where it passes through framing, if you can get to it, or add a hammer arrester under the kitchen sink on the hot water line that feeds the dw.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-07-02, 10:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Another important thing to do is to check your house water pressure... If this is something that hasn't always happened, there is a good chance that your prv valve has gone out and you have excessive pressure...

Old 12-09-02, 11:23 AM
stafford
Visiting Guest
Ragnar

Thanks for the tip. How do you go about checking the water pressure to the house??

Is this something that just a regular person could do?

Old 12-09-02, 11:59 AM
Cool

You can get a water pressure gauge at a hardware store that just screws onto any hose outlet. You don't want it much above 60 psi.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-01-12, 12:01 PM
Update

That was my wife who posted the original noise problem. I purchased a pressure gauge (Lowes didn't have one that attached to an outside faucet. Home Depot did for about $11) and our house pressure was at 118!! I had the city come out and verify and see if they could do anything. It was 102 when he tested it and there was nothing they could do. My father, a retired plumber, installed a pressure regulator valve and that has solved our problem, and many more!! It's amazing how many things I can now attribute to the excessive water pressure. Everything is so much quieter. Ice maker, toilets, faucets.

THANK YOU!!

Dean