Sayco diverter problem

Old 12-07-02, 10:12 PM
morpheus74
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Sayco diverter problem

I am having a problem with a shower diverter and I have tried everything I can think of to fix it with no success. I have three handles in my tub - hot, cold and shower, and when I turn the shower handle all the way to the "ON" position the water is not being completely diverted from the tub faucet to the shower (not a small trickle either - a fair amount of water comes out of the tub faucet). I removed the existing diverter stem and replaced it with an identical one I bought from the Home Depot, a Danco 9B-5D replacement for a Sayco diverter (stock # 15886B). The new diverter appears to have both O-rings and the bibb washer in place, and I even tried coating the O-rings with a little waterproof silicone grease. I also replaced the bibb seat in the pipe, and I double checked to be sure that I did not have any leaks around the faucet handles when the water was turned on.

When I spoke to the guy at the Home Depot, he suggested that the problem might be a clog somewhere in the shower line, so I removed the shower head and let the water run through the shower at full blast - I got a pretty good stream of water, but some water was still coming out of the tub faucet too. I installed a new shower head to make sure that the problem wasn't due to a clog in the old shower head, but nothing I have done seems to fix the problem of the water not diverting properly to the shower. I would add that the shower shuts off properly when the valve handle is turned to the "OFF" position, it just won't divert properly when the handle is turned all of the way on.

I also checked inside the pipe with a flashlight to make sure there were no obstructions and as far as I can see everything looks clear. I am almost at my wit's end here and I would deeply appreciate any guidance someone might have to lend in fixing this problem (other than calling a professional plumber out at $100/hour...)

Thanks!

Chris

Old 12-07-02, 10:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, the first thing I would do is take the danco version of the sayco part back to home depot and return it... then go to a plumbing supply house or a very old hardware store and ask for the SAYCO stem made by SAYCO... they are not nearly as easy to find, but you can still find some of the originals around... bottom line is Danco doesnt make the stems as good at the original manufacturer... and to ease your mind, if the diverter were working properly you could stuff a concrete filled sock in the shower feed and you still wouldnt get any water out of the spout... If the new diverter from Sayco doesnt fix your problem, you have a few choices... Accept the fact that something internal in the valve is wearing out and causing the leak to the spout and just put a new tub valve in, OR live with it the way it is, OR buy yourself a condominium in the Florida Keys and let someone else deal with this maddening problem...

Old 02-26-08, 03:33 AM
N
I recently had a similar problem with my old Sayco Diverter Valve. It had a trickle that always can out the spigot instead of the shower. Anyways 5 trips to the hardware store and a few days later it's finally fixed. I was quite ecstatic at the time and still a few days later when I noticed people weren't cringing when I walked by anymore.

In the end I didn't replace the valve I just replaced the 4 rubber rings/gaskets on the old one and that worked the best. The key I found though is that one of the o-rings causes the most problems. I actually had pieces of at least 2 busted rings in my piping. and it was definitely causing some of the leakage. If you look at a new valve (search local home Depot site or better yet go break the Danco one open at the store) its the middle visible one (one will be hidden) when the valve is closed.

Lowes has a Sayco faucet and shower gasket set for 2 or 3 bucks. It has everything you need to rebuild the old one.

Other potential trouble spots:

(1) Make sure you are tightening the Diverter valve down from the right part (I think its a 23 mm wrench). It comes with the complete Danco Sayco shower rebuild kit ($50-90). Pretty sure tightening with the handle doesn't work.

(2) Make sure no obstructions within the pipes (such as my broken O rings mentioned above.

(3) And of course make sure it's tight but not over tight. experiment if this helps it get better or worse.

Best of luck to all you others trying to do this. morpheus74, I know you tried most of this or it isn't relevant, but maybe my experience will help some others out there.

Old 10-12-09, 02:50 PM
H
Thumbs up Your Sayco diverter valve problems

Hi,
Don't let your wife red this especially if you gave up on the new Sayco diverter valve not working. I spent my entire vacation day figuring out why my Sayco diver valve wouldn't work. As the technoide I am I have to how things work and how they are designed.

I went to the inter-net and found the assembly drwing,that which is missing in all the packaging, and found out where "that extra" o-ring goes. It goes on the floating part up on the square neck of the moving barrel. It rolls rite up on.
There is no need to ripe down the bathroom only if you want to.
Dan

Old 11-09-09, 05:06 PM
C
Must read if having sayco diverter valve problems!!!

thank god for this website. i bought a new sayco diverter valve for my shower. i installed it and i still had a ton of water coming out of the tub faucet. ????? it made no sense. stumbling on this website i still couldnt fix the problem. but it got my thinking. the extra gasket that comes in the package. yea it belonged where the gasket on the threads was and the the one that was there belonged on the floating diverter washer. IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY PUT TOGETHER IN THE WRONG FASHION. i am so relieved to have figured this out cause it was pissin me off in the worst way. i hope this post makes someones life alot easier. this is a great website and were all in this together.

Old 11-09-09, 07:38 PM
S
By chance was it sold by Danco? Most parts sold by them are basically imported copies of actual replacement parts and there are sometimes issues...

Old 11-10-09, 03:31 PM
C
Originally Posted by spdavid View Post
By chance was it sold by Danco? Most parts sold by them are basically imported copies of actual replacement parts and there are sometimes issues...
yea it was a danco product obviously outsourced overseas. haha. just figured id post my issue considering most doityourselfers go to homedepot to buy parts. it works great just had to switch the o-rings around.

Old 11-18-09, 09:23 AM
B
Leaking Sayco diverter Stem

Its THIS easy...........

Place a small rubber "O" ring on the sliding component.
There is NO groove to receive this "o" ring.
It sits against the "shoulder"of the sliding component.

Danco forgot to include this mandatory component in their "Pro Kit".

This IS the solution.

SIMPLE!

Old 01-05-11, 09:45 PM
P
Danco's Hot/Cold Water Diverter has a design flaw

I ran into the same problem with the Danco Diverter. Water always came out via the spigot. I went back to Hom Depot and found the original replacement part from Price Pfister. I looked at the design of both products and saw that Danco's diverte does not have enough 'cone' shape to keep the white washer in the right place.

I took ou Danco's part and installed Price Pfister's part and it worked as intended. I am writing to Home Depot and suggest they discontinue carrying such product.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: