Vent pipe clog

Old 12-08-02, 03:01 PM
bit_twiddler
Visiting Guest
Vent pipe clog

I have a 70-yr-old 2-story home plus a basement. My 1st-floor kitchen vent pipe is clogged. From the Tee behind the kitchen sink, it extends about 10 feet down until it reaches the basement slab and joins the rest of the drain system under the slab. There are no clogs along the drain portion.

The vent pipe runs about 16 feet up from the tee to the roof, possibly with a bend at about 7ft up to account for an offset between my 1st-floor walls and my 2nd floor walls. The clog starts about 9ft up (I can feel it using a steel pipe inserted from the top of the vent). It feels sandy and I can get my wire snake to dig part-way into it, but I can't pull anything out.

I tried pouring water down it from the roof. The pipe (2in diameter) filled up and then slowly drained. But the more times that I filled it and watched it drain, the slower it ran, until it is now draining only about 1/8 inch per hour.

I am going to go buy one of those hose attachments to try to force the blockage down. If that doesn't work, does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, is it wise to add an upside-down p-trap to the top of the pipe when I am finished to keep stuff from entering in the future?

-Todd.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-02, 07:07 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The Drain King will blow it out. An up-side down P-trap or a couple of elbows and a nipple between them to prevent future vent pipe clogs -- good idea. Service stations use this on the vents for their underground tanks. No problem there!