Kitchen Island Sink Venting

Old 12-15-02, 09:04 AM
sundoy
Visiting Guest
Question Kitchen Island Sink Venting

I want to relocate a kitchen sink onto an island. How do I vent properly where drain pipe runs need to go below floor. I was told something about a loop vent. What is it and how would it work?

Old 12-15-02, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is how UPC wants it done, always check codes in your area.

Old 12-15-02, 10:19 AM
sundoy
Visiting Guest
Loop vent solution

Thanks, this is just what I needed!

Old 12-15-02, 05:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We have all had this discussion several times, and I will state again, for the record, that MANY inspectors in MANY states and MANY counties allow STUDOR vents in these instances... above the tee where the sink goes in, you just stick a mechanical vent that costs about 20 bucks, and eliminates the need for a loop vent at all... It would benefit you to call an inspector before you do the job, but if you are not having it inspected and just want it funtional, the studor vents work just FINE!

Old 12-15-02, 07:27 PM
I know of 1 city in my area that allows air admittance valves (Studor) on commercial work but not residental. Go figure...

You should call a local building official and ask about this....

Old 12-15-02, 09:32 PM
fesjr
Visiting Guest
I am a licensed plumber in MA. Mechanical vents are not allowed without prior permission from the "Board of Plumbers and Gassfitters". Inspectors can't allow them, only the board. Also all "Bow Vents" needs prior approval of the inspector.

Old 12-16-02, 04:46 AM
Cool

Sundoy,
Here's the Studor vent website:
http://www.studor.com/
It all depends on what your local plumbing code and inspector allows, as stated.
(I've had one similar installed on one of my bathroom vanity sinks for many years, and it has always worked just fine.)
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-16-02, 06:42 PM
Wow, I guess I am lucky to be in the south... Standard Plumbing Code only requires going through the roof once with a single vent half the size of the main... Other than that, we can use 2 dozen studor vents in a house if we want... Of course, we usually run it by the inspector ahead of time...

Old 12-16-02, 09:09 PM
Cool

And yet ANOTHER reason that I'm not a pro plumber (besides plumbing in slabs, lack of skill, etc.)...I always thought that roof vent pipes had to equal the main. LOL
Mike

Old 12-16-02, 09:14 PM
Yes your correct Oldguy.

Old 12-16-02, 09:28 PM
International Plumbing Code... (which is what I am bound by here in GA)...

and I quote:

"903.1 Stack required. Every building in which plumbing is installed shall have at least one stack the size of which is not less than one-half of the required size of the building drain. Such stack shall run undiminished in size and as directly as possible from the building drain through to the open air or to a vent header that extends to the open air."

That is all they require of us...

"917.3 Where permitted. Individual, branch AND circuit vents shall be permitted to terminate with a connection to an air admittance valve. The air admittance valve shall only vent fixtures that are on the same floor level and connect to a horizontal branch drain. The horizontal branch drain shall conform to Section 917.3.1 or 917.3.2."

What is my point?? I am not sure I have one... except that we really shouldn't do too much code quoting on this site as that is not what most people are here for... Within my state, the international plumbing code is used, but certain counties can make amendments as long as they are MORE strict and not LESS...

I can only make recommendations based on my own experience, and I can not possibly make allowances for every code variation across the country or even within the same state... I try to offer advice that is the most functional and in ALL cases if you are getting a job inspected, the best thing to do is to make a phone call to your local inspector and ask him what he expects...

B

Old 12-16-02, 09:36 PM
Well said Ragnar

Call a plumbing inspector when you are not sure what is required.

Old 12-16-02, 11:57 PM
W
Advice given here should always be according to code, but as is always recommended the person needs to check the code in his juristiction.

Old 12-17-02, 12:26 AM
P
UPC requires that the sum total of vent exiting the roof equal the diameter of the building drain.

SPC.....I guess no such requirement. Lucky you.

Old 12-17-02, 06:10 AM
Cool

My local SPC requires a half-moon vent on the door. LOL
Mike

Old 12-17-02, 07:44 AM
Go for the Studor Vent, if you can

When had my washer & dryer moved, my plumber put in a studor vent in the wall (behind a removable cover). He said that this is code for my part of NC. It has worked great for several years and saved me a bundle of $ and made for a cleaner roof line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: