old cast iron plumbing drains

Old 12-16-02, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question old cast iron plumbing drains

hi all, i have a home built back in the early 50's with cast iron drain pipes and am looking at converting to the black plastic drain piping. Now, where the drain meets the floor in the basement cement, can i just start there or do i have to rip up the cement to remove the old cast iron sewer pipe? Thank you in advance for any insight into my question!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-02, 01:18 PM
Why do you need to change it to PVC? Is the cast iron failing? One nice thing about cast iron is that it's very quiet, PVC will let out a lot more noise. I would start right bellow the floor line, where the line meets the first elbow. You don't need to replace the underground portion unless it's failing.

Old 12-16-02, 06:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, I would not break concrete to get an extra 6" of ABS in there, just cut the cast iron about 4" or so above the floor and use a fernco or no-hub adapter to convert to the plastic at that point....

If you are going to convert the whole system, put as many clean-outs as practical at some accessible points... don't skimp on them, they will save your butt later...