Shower handle connected to tub spout???

Old 12-16-02, 01:54 PM
jrp30
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Shower handle connected to tub spout???

My wife and I just moved in to a beautiful new (1993) house yesterday. When I went to shower, I could not find a diverter to the shower head. I spent close to 20 minutes trying to figure it out, but gave up. I went to my wife's bathtub, and found the exact same thing . . . nada!

Somehow, two people purchased fixtures LESS DIVERTER for these tubs. And no, there is not a diverter on the tub spout. The fixture is round with one handle for hot/cold, and a knob for on/off.

My two questions are:

What is involved with replacing this? Most of these types of fixtures I see are "less diverter". This denotes that the spout has a diverter. So, how can I tell which one should have the diverter: the fixture of the tub spout (without taking the fixture off).

In the mean time, I'm getting sick washing in the tub with a bucket. Does anyone know if a product exists where I can attach a hand-held shower head to the tub spout? This would be an interim solution. I went to Home Depot, and they did not have anything like that. If someone can provide me with a name and brand of one of those, I would duly appreciate it.

Thanks!

jrp

Old 12-16-02, 02:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Have you tried pulling the control handle or the knob out?
Mike

Old 12-16-02, 02:51 PM
jrp30
Visiting Guest
Old guy,

When you say "pull" do you mean literally take it out with tools? Or, do you mean pull it out as that should activate the diverter?

Thanks for your reply!

Old 12-16-02, 03:18 PM
Cool

Just pull out on them by hand to see if either activates the diverter. Not remove them. There has to be a way that is just sight "unseen".
Mike

Old 12-16-02, 03:37 PM
jrp30
Visiting Guest
<Just pull out on them by hand to see if either activates the diverter.>

Mike, I have tried to the point of not breaking it. I have pushed, pulled, twisted, etc.

<Not remove them. There has to be a way that is just sight "unseen". >

This is what I thought. However, it appears to be one of those "less diverter" handles, and the tub spout has no diverter. My wife phoned me earlier and said she spent another hour today trying to figure it out, but cannot get it to divert.

Let's just say for fun, that there IS no diverter on the handle nor spout. What is involved with this (per my original question).

Thanks again for your help

Old 12-16-02, 05:16 PM
There is a tub spout that has the diverter right where the water comes through the spout, if I remember right, on the spout, you pull down the spot where the water passes through at, this spout is confussing, but that is how it works, if thats the spout you have there.

Old 12-16-02, 06:11 PM
Sounds like an oversight by the plumber unless the faucet is a delta brand which I dont think it is... I have seen this valve recently a couple of times and it is a price pfister I think... A delta faucet has a diverter at the MOUTH of the spout... it is literally part of the spout and you just pull it down... Otherwise, you need to just change the spouts, which is a very easy thing to do if the house is that new... just buy 2 spouts w/diverter... then just unscrew your existing spouts and put the new ones in...

Old 12-16-02, 06:16 PM
I think it is an american standard spout, but I could be wrong, I tried to find a picture of it, but having no luck.

Old 12-16-02, 06:29 PM
Okay, I am nearly sure that the valve he has is a price pfister... They have that relatively new valve where the left handle controls VOLUME and the right handle controls TEMP... that is their version of temp control... anyway, there should still be a diverter on the spout itself and if not, they could simply have mixed the trim kits at the factory or at the supply house... You just need to change the spout to a diverter type... As to the one where the diverter is at the end of the spout where the water comes out, I am 100% sure that it is a delta... I just installed 4 of them at my father's new house he built... There may be others, but delta has had that one for quite awhile... Below is the pic of the one I think jrp30 has though, it is the price pfister model...

Last edited by Ragnar; 12-16-02 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-16-02, 08:20 PM
Your too funny Ragnar,

How could you possible know what brand the valve is.

Old 12-16-02, 09:04 PM
Cool

jrp30,
O.K. Pulling the end of the spout down (where an aerator might be on a sink faucet) may activate the shower diverter, as Ron said.
If not, then just replace the spout with a one-size-fits all regular diverter spout of your choice, as Ragnar said.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-16-02, 09:12 PM
Actually Plumber2000, he gave a lot of info in his first post that led me to believe that he has that price pfister model... I am not just shooting in the dark on this one... his house is relatively new, and now think of what builders put in houses... decent brands but their most common models which happen to also be cheaper... He clearly said that one handle was ON/OFF and the other was HOT/COLD... how many moen, delta, american standard valves to you see in new homes with a VOLUME knob AND a TEMP knob separated that way... On the other hand, price pfister put the one out that I show a picture of and I see a lot of them... It was the most likely option... and I will bet you dinner that I have the right valve (though not necessarily the right trim)... and JRP30 will let us know when he responds...

B

Old 12-16-02, 09:21 PM
Believe it or not, this could be a case where he indicates the a single handle that operates two functions, center handle on valve turns the water on and off and the back side of the first handle operates the temputure, and I know AM/Std have a valve like this, and is not an old valve.

Old 12-16-02, 09:22 PM
P.S

He said handle and knob not two handles.

Old 12-16-02, 09:37 PM
I am still going with the most common I have seen, and I will still buy you dinner if I am wrong... All the advice remains the same for this guy... No diverter handle and no diverter on the spout means he needs to get a diverter spout... The type of valve is immaterial to his problem... and lots of companies make valves with a mixer and a knob and yes I had in my head that he meant 2 handles, but I still think the price pfister is most likely... but we shall see, I suppose...

Old 12-16-02, 10:03 PM
jrp30,

Look at the spout and let me know if this one is like the ones you have.

This is a delta spout.

Old 12-17-02, 06:15 AM
L
Ron's picture of the Delta valve -- pull DOWN on the end of the spout (where the aerator would be if it had one). THAT is the diverter.

Old 12-17-02, 08:03 AM
jrp30
Visiting Guest
Wow! Thanks for all the replies.

Regarding the type. On the handle, it says "Mixet". ??

Again, it is circular with lever that goes in a 360 (for hot and cold) and one knob in front of the lever.

One thing I DID NOT try putting my hand up the mouth of the spout and down. That might be it. I will certainly let you know.

Also, I'll take a picture of the actual spout with my digital camera and post it.

Old 12-17-02, 09:13 AM
jrp30
Visiting Guest
You guys RULE!!!!

A big THANKS to everyone who responded to my post re: there not being a diverter.

I took Plumber2000's advice and phoned my wife, asked her to put her hand up in the tub spout "where the water comes out" and pull it out.

It worked like a champ!

I reference various forums from time to time in effort to obtain advise from experts. This is the third (?) time I've been here with a question, and EVERY time I've had a quick, efficient, easy to understand answer.

You guys should be proud!

Old 12-17-02, 01:51 PM
Your welcome,

And hey Ragnar you own me dinner lol

Old 12-17-02, 02:44 PM
jrp30
Visiting Guest
The best part is that I'm so jacked about this that I went to Home Depot and bought two Moen Revolution shower heads.

Not that it's anything big, BUT . . . I got them for $12.00 each!!!

Apperantely Home Depot is not carrying them any more. Look how much they are at Lowes: $50.00

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...-866-21070WRBE

I do have a leaky kitchen pipe and will be back later this week. ;-) Thanks again

Old 12-17-02, 03:59 PM
Bah!... After rereading his post and seeing that he DID say one handle and one knob on a "circular fixture", I began to realize the folly of my guess... Oh well... whodathunkit.... I figured mixet was only being put in hotels these days... Not the most attractive model for home... I stand corrected AGAIN... and where do you wanna go Plumber 2000? Send me a home address and I will buy you a steak at Outback if you have one around... just email it to me... Don't make me ask you twice... I am serious... ...

Good job Jrp30...

Old 12-17-02, 06:06 PM
L
Jrp30, glad we could help. That's what we are here for.

Ron --

If Eugene doesn't have an Outback, Redding does!! you could always... Just kidding, of course.

Old 12-17-02, 07:12 PM
We do have a Outback here.

Ragnar good your a good plumber. you don't need to buy me a dinner.

Thanks for the offer.

Old 12-17-02, 10:52 PM
L
Darn it! -- but at least I tried!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: