Temp swings in Shower

Old 12-16-02, 06:04 PM
ydiverdown
Visiting Guest
Temp swings in Shower

While taking a shower, if someone flushs the toilet or turns on a sink the temp will swing either hot or cold depending. I've lived in several homes where this wasn't an issue. Any suggestion as to how to correct this in this house?

Thanks

Old 12-16-02, 06:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, there are several reasons this could be happening... The bottom line is that you are not getting enough volume to the fixtures... What kind of pipes do you have in the house? Galvanized, cpvc, copper? If the house is older then you probably have very restricted volume in the galvanized piping... If you have a relatively new home, then it may be that the plumber simply went with the minimum code (or even less) and has too many fixtures being supplied with too small a supply branch... Any more info would be helpful...

Old 12-16-02, 06:31 PM
ydiverdown
Visiting Guest
The House was build in 1959 and had the pipes replaced. Currently I have 1/2 copper everywhere. The house has 2 bathrooms, kitchen w/ dishwasher, Laundry sink next to the washer, and 2 outdoor faucets.

Just on the side... My family just more than doubled. Before it was just my son and I. Now I'm remarrying and have 3 more here. We are building a master bedroom addition in March. It will move the laundry to the main level of the house and add a third bathroom. With this in mind would that alter any recommendations?

Thanks

Old 12-16-02, 06:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, if you have 1/2" copper to each fixture that should be more than sufficient... So do you have ANY galvanized pipe in the house? For instance, do you still have galvanized from the meter to the house? If it is restricted there, then the whole system is lacking volume... You may just need to go ahead with the new service line if you are going to be sharing water with 3 to 4 people at a time on occasion... If not galvanized in the yard, then you need to check to make sure the meter is all the way on, and that you dont have any old style valves in the house that are causing lower volume... Let me know what else you find.... My guess is that your old 3/4" galvanized service line is restricted down to about a pinhole and it is causing low volume in the hole house...

Old 12-16-02, 06:48 PM
ydiverdown
Visiting Guest
Thanks... I'll check the meter out tomorrow and let you know what I find. It could very well be that they didn't replace the whole run from the street to the house... it's about a 200 foot run.

Old 12-16-02, 07:02 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Installing a pressure balance shower valve should stop this from happening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: