Garbage disposal not working

Old 12-16-02, 08:05 PM
jhughe90
Visiting Guest
Garbage disposal not working

Circuit is fine, I get nothing when I flip the switch. When I hit the reset button I get a light hum for a few seconds then the button trips out again. There's nothing visible in it. There's no allen wrench spot to turn the shaft either on this model (Premier 195). I was scraping and flushing a lot of junk/rust around since it had sat for some time. Also wiggled the two metal grinders loose but still nothing. It occasionally drains slow but usually plunges out quickly.

Old 12-16-02, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well I use a basin wrench to turn a jammed up disposal from the top side, how old is this disposal?

If old, just replace it, there not that expensive.

Old 12-16-02, 09:02 PM
jhughe90
Visiting Guest
The house is just under 5 years old. There's nothing I could grab ahold of with a wrench from the topside to turn. What I can see doesn't really look right. There are no blades, just two metal grinders (??) that can move about 90deg back and forth.

Old 12-16-02, 09:10 PM
Thats all you will see, I think there is a tool you can get at Home Depot thats made for unjamming a disposal. ask them at Home Depot.

Old 12-16-02, 09:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And where they get jammed up is usually not in the little movable teeth... Usually something will get jammed in the slot at the edge of the wheel against the body of the disposal... just look closely in that area... Otherwise, there is almost always a large nut in the middle of the blade assembly and I think this is where Plumber2000 was speaking of getting a hold with a basin wrench to free it up... Not a bad idea by the way...

Old 12-16-02, 09:27 PM
jhughe90
Visiting Guest
I see, I'll try and rig something up to grab that nut and still let me apply some leverage, otherwise I'll go shopping for a basin wrench. Thanks.

Old 12-16-02, 09:32 PM
Well, a basin wrench is certainly the easiest in that application but remember you dont have to spin it back far... just enough to free whatever is lodged in it... If you don't have a basin wrench, just take a screwdriver and try to get it into one of the grooves and just pry it counterclockwise to free it up... whatever you can do to just get it to spin backwards about a 1/4 turn...

Old 12-17-02, 06:23 AM
L
Or, a wooden broom handle, or a 1X2 about 2' to 3' long will work just fine to try freeing the cutting wheel with.

Old 12-17-02, 04:56 PM
Here is a list of other household items that might be used to break the wheel free...

Mop handle, swiffer handle, old hammer handle, fireplace poker, old broken table leg, frozen loaf of french bread, deer antler off of the trophy deer on your mantle, wooden spatula.... etc, etc.... the list goes on and on, but you get the idea i suppose...

Old 12-17-02, 05:32 PM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Plumber 2000 is right, again, of course......(Ragner, you got the picturer? ) There is a special wrench made to break this free. Home Depot or any good local hardware store would have it. It has a pivoting bottom leg that sits down against the blades of the disposal and a "T" handle for leverage.
You may even what to spray some WD-40 in there to help break up the rust a bit, that is probally what is holding it, if it has been sitting for awhile.

Old 12-17-02, 07:41 PM
jhughe90
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Some WD-40, a hammer, a long screwdriver, and a few whacks did the trick. Thanks guys

Old 12-18-02, 10:47 PM
Hey, wait a minute, the big screwdriver was my idea, and that worked just fine, but secondly I agreed with Plumber2000 on his basin wrench idea, so i get like half a point for that one... :P

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: