Basement Floor Drain

Old 12-17-02, 05:32 AM
jcpike
Visiting Guest
Basement Floor Drain

When we get heavy rain, the floor drain in my basement starts to gurgle and eventually water starts coming up. There is a seal that prevents the most of water from coming back, but some water does get through.
What possibly could be the cause.
Cheers
John

Old 12-17-02, 06:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Partial clog in the main drain line (roots?). The sooner you clear it, the better off you're going to be.
Try snaking the entire line from the basement to the street through a clean-out. (That floor drain is going to have a trap.)
You also might want to have a drain cleaning company or plumber with a video camera inspect the line to determine the problem, if it persists after you snake the line.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-17-02, 06:19 AM
jcpike
Visiting Guest
Floor Drain

Thanks for the reply Mike,
I omitted to say that the water that is backing up is not coming from my basement, it seems that the storm sewer outside is backing up? Should I still try a snake or maybe call our city sewer department?
John

Old 12-17-02, 05:00 PM
Well, storm and sewer drains should not be connected... Usually a floor drain will be connected to your house sewer, which should not be connected to anything related to the storm drains... If you have a floor drain that is connected to the county storm drain system and it is backing up in your basement, then definitely call the county on that one... If a lot of rain is infiltrating your septic system, in pretty rare cases, you could be getting some backup if you drainfield is saturated but it takes a lot of rain over a relatively short period to cause this... Are you on septic or sewer by the way?

Old 12-18-02, 08:25 AM
jcpike
Visiting Guest
I'm on a sewer system. The water that is backing up is clean water, and only backsup when we get heavy rain, say 1" or more in a short time. And only seems to back up at the first couple of hours of the rain, even when it is still raining the water stops backing up. Hope this makes sense.
Cheers
John

Old 12-18-02, 10:30 PM
Well, what you are saying makes sense, but the list of symptoms does not... If you are on county sewer, then there is no reason why a floor drain would back up due to rain... The rain outside runs off into storm drains, and the sewer water runs into a totally separate piping system... The rain cannot back up in that floor drain unless it is attached to some time of drain other than the house plumbing... Is it possible that someone ran some type of floor drain and just terminated it outside somewhere to allow run off of water in the basement and in fact never tied it to the actual plumbing system?

Old 12-19-02, 09:18 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Storm drainage connected to sanitary depends on the age of the building. Many older buildings have exterior stairwell drains hooked to the sanitary system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: