Toilet flush problem- air bubbles from jet hole

Old 12-17-02, 01:28 PM
jason_r
Visiting Guest
Toilet flush problem- air bubbles from jet hole

I'm having a problem with a toilet in an older (1935) house I just moved into. The previous owners said this is a newer toilet though.
When I flush air shoots out from the jet hole and the bowl completely fills. If I leave it alone for many hours the bowl level will eventually go down but it doesn't seem like much was cleared from the bowl. If I leave it a long time the bowl water level will go down to just before the jet hole and the 'main hole'.

The water level in the tank does not change or leak. Using and plunger or an auger seems to have no effect on the bowl water level.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 12-17-02, 01:53 PM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Is this the only draining problem you have in the house? The tub, sinks, other toilets, washer, etc..... all drain ok? You have a clogged sewer line, but where is going to be determined by how many other items are effected.
If this is the only toilet or item effected, than it is probally near or in the toilet itself. If you have used a plunger and auger already, you will have to pull the toilet.
I would go to the hardware store and pick up a new wax ring, and ensure I have plenty of time and patiance for the job.
Shut off the water to the toilet and remove as much water as you can, via shopvac, dipper or whatever method you desire.
Remove the hold down nuts, located on the base of the toilet, cut any caulk that has been applied around the base, rock and lift toilet from floor.
Now you can run a snake down the sewer line from this point. You can also take the toilet outside, turn it up side down...careful you don't break the tank, sit on the grass or soft surface. Sometimes you can turn the garden hose on and run water through the toilet (backwards). Put the hose in the bottom of the toilet and let it come out the bowl. If you are lucky and there is something inside the toilet this may flush it out. If nothing come out you may want to try to run the auger through it (backwards).
Once you feel comfortable, that you have cleared whatever was blocking the line.... reinstall toilet.

Old 12-17-02, 04:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree that you have a stoppage and it is likely going to require pulling up the toilet and running a snake from there... the rest of the symptoms are directly related to the slow flush...

Old 12-18-02, 07:52 AM
jason_r
Visiting Guest
Question

Thanks for that advice. Since you two were convinced it was blockage and not something wrong with the toilet I went back to work with the plunger. This time I made sure there was a lot more water in the bowl so I wouldn't be pushing so much air. After a while the bowl cleared. Now it flushes but slowly but much faster than before.

Iím starting to suspect the shower (in the same bathroom as the toilet) doesn't drain as well as it should. This would lend even more support to the blockage theory. Do I still pull the toilet and snake from there? Could I snake from the shower drain? Could I just buy a bunch of Liquid Plumber or another solvent and pour that down the drains and toilet? Or should I just call a plumber?

Thanks again.

Old 12-18-02, 05:45 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The main waste line is still clogged -- you probably just pushed the clog a little farther along when you used the plunger. I would suggest pulling the toilet and snaking the line from there. You can either rent a 100 power snake and do it yourself, or call a drain cleaning co. or a plumber to do it for you. Compare the price of teh rental vs. the charge of the plumber and go from there. (Around here, I can get a plumber to snake a line for about the same amount as the snake rental -- not worth MY time to mess with it!)

Snaking through the shower will be ineffective. You will have to use a small (1/4") snake to get through the trap, and that isn't going to do much for you once it gets into a 3" or 4" main line.

Liquid Plumber or Drano?? Again, in my opinion, you would be wasting your money.

Old 12-31-02, 12:08 PM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
I have to agree with Lefty, the line is still clogged. There is one other option, other than pulling the toilet. Go outside or in the basement, and look to see if you have a cleanout for you sewer line. This is nothing more than a connection in the sewer line that has a cap, either screwed in or over the top of the pipe. If you happen to find one that is on the up stream side of the clog, you will be able to run the snake from there.
If you don't have a clean out, or are unable to find it, you are back to pulling the toilet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: