electric water heater

Old 12-17-02, 05:57 PM
jkblack
Visiting Guest
Question electric water heater

My water heater is leaking at the top where the cold water comes in and also where the hot water goes out. Also, the reset button has had to be reset twice in the last three days because there was no hot water. Are these problems connected? It is 7 years old (A.O. Smith brand-50 gallon) and we live in a hard water climate.

Old 12-17-02, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The leaks on top of the heater are they from the flex lines that connects to the heater.

Thermostats, just replace the upper and lower stats, turn the power off before the do this.

Old 12-17-02, 07:48 PM
jkblack
Visiting Guest
Yes, there is water (small amt.) standing in the small indented circles on top of the heater where the two copper flex hoses connects to the heater. Should I disconnect, clean the connections and reconnect?

Originally posted by Plumber2000
The leaks on top of the heater are they from the flex lines that connects to the heater.

Thermostats, just replace the upper and lower stats, turn the power off before the do this.

Old 12-17-02, 08:17 PM
Is the leak where the flex lines connect to the nipples or where the nipples screw into the heater?

Old 12-17-02, 08:26 PM
jkblack
Visiting Guest
I think it is where the flex lines connect to the nipples. I feel wetness there and there is mineral deposits in that area. Probably need to replace the flex lines?

Originally posted by Plumber2000
Is the leak where the flex lines connect to the nipples or where the nipples screw into the heater?

Old 12-17-02, 08:29 PM
Yes replace the flex lines with new ones.

Old 12-17-02, 10:35 PM
L
Yes, the leak is probably at one of the 2 copper flex lines at the top of the water heater. Replace them both, but use the braided stainless steel flex lines, NOT the copper flex lines.

"Are these problems connected? "

Probably. The water lines at the top of the heater are leaking. That water is GOING to run down hill. The electrical connections are downhill. You are either going to trip a reset or trip a breaker.

(FYI -- My Dad taught me 2 things about plumbing. First, water runs downhill. Second, payday is on Friday. Ron and Ragnar will vouch for BOTH of those!!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: