should i be concerned???

Old 12-19-02, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
should i be concerned???

this past summer, (july 2002) we had our main sewer line replaced...the plumber used nothing else but schedule 40 4" pipe...the depth of pipe at house was approximately 3 ft...the depth at the city sewer main was approx. 5 ft...i expected some settling of the dirt when they filled the huge trench up, but i didn't know how long it would take before the dirt started settling...here in the past month, settling has occured...about 15 feet of the length of the line has dropped about 3-6 inches...(starting closer to the house about 3"...about 6" above the main city sewer)...

question 1: at that depth, would the schedule 40 pipe collapse??? (the total length of pipe is roughly 30 ft)

(my concern)...i have encountered some drainage problems...i hear sounds in the walls sounding like a real deep gurgle...i hear water sounds in the pipes...i hear gurgling when sink and tub drains towards the end of the draining...the tub drains extremely slow...

question 2: does anyone think the schedule 40 sewer pipe collapsed and that is my problem??? or is it more probable that i have a couple of clogged vents???

thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-02, 05:17 PM
J
question 1: at that depth, would the schedule 40 pipe collapse??? (the total length of pipe is roughly 30 ft)

It would not collapse.

question 2: does anyone think the schedule 40 sewer pipe collapsed and that is my problem??? or is it more probable that i have a couple of clogged vents???

I think I would start by calling the plumber. Call them and be polite and professional. While there may be settling where the trench was excavated, the line should have been be installed on undisturbed soil. If the trench it over dug (which will happen depending on the back hoe operator as some are better than others) then pea gravel should be laid under the pipe to avoid settling. The gurgling sounds like the line is backing up. Any good reputable plumber would fix the issue if they caused it. I also would keep an open mind as some sort of other issue is not out of the question. My vote would be with the line settling (only a guess).

Good Luck

Old 12-19-02, 05:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, I would think the main sewer is fine... as to the ground settling that is very common and it is highly unlikely that the pipe has been damaged... also, as was already pointed out, the pipe was laid on the undisturbed bottom of the ditch and even if minor settling occured there, it would still drain well generally... The only drainage problem you mention is the tub actually draining slow... the rest of what you say is some sounds in the walls... could be that you are just worried now about the settling and you are listening closer than before and looking for everything you can find wrong because you are worried... Your tub is likely draining slowly for the same reason everyones tub eventually drains slowly... LOTS OF HAIR and SOAP SCALE... Just take off the overflow plate and run a small snake down the line... preferably an electric snake if you are familiar with how to operate one... Then handle actual slow drainage as it occurs... Some of the sounds in the wall may be directly due to the tub creating some restriction in the bathroom vent since they are usually connected and that could cause minor gurgling... Don't hassle the plumber that did the main until you have real reason to believe your main sewer is causing the problem...

Old 12-20-02, 08:31 AM
clarification please

While there may be settling where the trench was excavated, the line should have been be installed on undisturbed soil. If the trench it over dug (which will happen depending on the back hoe operator as some are better than others) then pea gravel should be laid under the pipe to avoid settling.
the plumber that did the work dug the trench, the backhow operator had to dig the last part because it became to deep for the trencher...the plumber smoothed out the bottom of the trench and packed it down real well...he didn't fill in and then smooth...he smoothed the undisturbed bottom...he didn't use pea gravel...the city inspector said it would not require it due the amount of fall the pipe had and because the base looked good...any comments on this new information????

The gurgling sounds like the line is backing up. Any good reputable plumber would fix the issue if they caused it. I also would keep an open mind as some sort of other issue is not out of the question. My vote would be with the line settling (only a guess).

Are you implying that the main sewer line is backing up, or is the drain line from the tub backing up??? Also, are you saying the line settling can cause this problem??? also, is there a good way i can check for settling???

Old 12-20-02, 08:13 PM
J
Hope this clairifies my earlier points

I am saying gurgling could have been a sign of a backup. Ragnar pointed out some excellent points as well I would follow up on them if I were you. It sounds like the plumber laid the line exactly how he should have. One thing I would still do is talk with the plumber. In no way is that hassling him. After all you paid him well for a job and most pros are very willing and able to help. One who worked for you could be an excellent resource. I would not accuse him of anything because he does not deserve that and it sounds like he did a good job for you. I would get some ideas from him. Based on how you said the plumber laid the pipe that is exactly how it is suppose to be done and therefore it is very unlikly the pipe settled. I would say impossible but what is impossible?

Good Luck