toilet tank not filling

Old 12-26-02, 04:59 PM
chukmac
Visiting Guest
toilet tank not filling

I have a 2-3 year old fluidmaster 400A fill valve, and occasionally when flushing-or depressing the lever-no water is in the tank. Bowl has normal amount, and when you try to flush, then the fill valve works as it should, so I can't see what was stuck. This only happens every month or two, so I never look beforehand. Can flush 15-20 times, and always works perfectly. Everything seems to move freely by hand (nothing binding). Any ideas? Not that hard or costly to change, just puzzled.
Thanks Chuck

Old 12-26-02, 05:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Probably not worth even fooling with... They commonly begin to hang up after awhile... Make sure you have the water all the way on to the valve, but beyond that, just buy a new 400a, and then just disconnect the new one at the lock ring, and don't even bother the change the shaft that connects to the tank... that way you wont even have to drain the tank or change the supply to the valve... still make sure to turn the water off however...

Old 12-26-02, 05:43 PM
chukmac
Visiting Guest
Thanks-- what I figured, just was curious--I've installed dozens of these, and this is the first one that hung up (at least no one has called me about the problem-maybe since I'm retired, they think it"s no use.)
On another topic, I posted some months ago about a pressure/temp relief valve on a hot water pipe that ran outside through the foundation of my house, Everyone on the forum seemed as confused as I was about the reason for this. well, last weekend, at a retirement party for a mutual friend, I talked to a guy who was an apprentice plumber for this tract of homes, and he said all houses by this builder were plumed this way instead of the PRV and a drain pipe on the water heater. I have since checked 5-6 houses nearby and they ALL have a relief valve on an outside hot water pipe. Don't know if this met code then (late 60's) or if the inspector was builder's brother-in-law. In any case all heaters have been replaced, and PRV's on the tanks.
Chuck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: