toilet tank not filling up

Old 12-27-02, 09:11 AM
stevestip
Visiting Guest
Question toilet tank not filling up

My toliet tank in master bath wont fill up with water. it drizzles only, but not from the part the water normally comes out from to fill the tank . if I turn off water at connection by toilet then wait a while and turn water back on it fills up and will flush. but then it wont fill up again unless i turn water off for a while. I filled the tank up with water myself and a few hours later went to see if toliet would flush and the water had all drained out . Where , beats me the floor was dry.
Thanks for you help , really would like to fix it myself

Old 12-27-02, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First lets see you have good pressure at the shut off valve.

Shut valve off and discoonet it from the toilet tank, turn supply line into a bucket, turn on the shut off valve, if you have good flow then next step is to replace the fill valve with a new one, install a fluidmaster 400A, found at Home Depot and other plumbing stores.

Old 12-31-02, 10:36 AM
stevestip
Visiting Guest
toliet tank still not working

I do not have good water flow from the shut off valve.
Shut off valve sometimes works but only spits water. Sometimes when we turn valve on pipes have lots of air before water comes out, then it only spits. Sometimes no water at all comes out. I fill the tank with water and a few hours later it is empty like it drains back into shut off valve. water pressure in kitchen has been bad since this toilet tank problem.water bill has gone up instead of down in winter months.
So now that is where I sit ,stand .
Do I need to call a plumber or can I hopefully still fix it myself.?
thanks again for your help

Old 12-31-02, 01:10 PM
Maybe the washer on the shutoff valve is loose, and for lose of water in the tank, thats a flapper problem, replace the flapper, then check the washer in the shut off valve.

Or maybe it is time to call in a plumber. And get some good sleep tonight.

Old 12-31-02, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, the list of symptoms is a little confusing... One, you should rarely have AIR at the shutoff valve... secondly, if the flapper is letting water out, then why isn't the ball **** valve calling for water to refill the tank? Also, water does not drain back into the shutoff valve... the only way that is possible is if the main water to the house has been shutoff and is draining down somewhere and then siphons the water out of the tank... Anyway, are you on a well by chance?? If you are on city water, which I would find hard to believe, turn all the water off, and check the meter to see if you are losing water... But for your list of symptoms, your water line would have to be nearly broken in half... More info on the situation would be helpful...

Old 06-29-11, 03:48 AM
N
I have similar problem, water comes out in drops and not from the site it used too. I wait 15 min to get refill. any suggestion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: