Bath tub drain leaking.

Old 12-27-02, 11:05 AM
Pkrbkr66
Visiting Guest
Question Bath tub drain leaking.

I have run into a problem that I have not seen before. Perhaps someone has and can give me some suggestions.

The other day while sitting in my study, I suddenly heard the sound of water dripping into my entryway. Immediately above the entryway is where my daughters' bathtub is located. She was taking a shower and evidently water was leaking from the drain of the tub.

I have cut back the sheetrock where the water was coming from (leaking for some time, I suppose) and it seems that the drain pipe or drain fitting is leaking. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Old 12-27-02, 11:35 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes - It has happened to me.

Luckily there was an opening to the pipes in a closet (access panel) and I was able to get in there and replace the faulty drain pipe. Since you already cut away the sheetrock - you are halfway there. Canyou see where it is leaking? You may have to run the water until you find it. If it is at the fitting try just tightening it. If Not - Can you take out the part that is leaking? If yes - take it to Home Depot/Lowes and get a new one and put it in.

I did have to increase the size of the acces panel to have more room to work.

Then when you are done you will have to patch the sheetrock - that is the part I don't like!

Old 12-27-02, 03:45 PM
Pkrbkr66
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your input I actually posted my question before taking a hard look at what was going on. It seems that the seal around the drain hardware had never been properly installed. That, coupled with alot of hair built up in the drain seems to have been the culprit. I have already run a snake through the drain and after cleaning the drainplug pieces with CLR will reassemble and retest before doing repairs to the sheetrock.

Since my wife is in the "redecorating" mode anyway, I suppose that the timing was right for this little hiccup.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: