Deep Well vs water line

Old 12-27-02, 06:24 PM
B
Bill Locke
Visiting Guest
Deep Well vs water line

I own a home in farm country that requires a new source of water, as the the shallow well is just not enough any more. I have a choice of having a deep well drilled, (definitely going to get sulphur water) or running a line underground at least half a mile to another road and tapping into the muni line there. Both of these will become moot when an eventual new water line goes down the road the house is actually on. Does anyone out there have any other ideas I could throw into the mix, or an opinion on the two choices I have mentioned? (I can get a water filtration system pretty cheap from a house on the other road for the sulphur)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-02, 06:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, in my neck of the woods, it would be a much cheaper job to get the deep well done, and then you could always continue to use it for irrigation after you get muni closer... The line over the half mile would not be terribly expensive, but the tap from the county costs us an arm and a leg around here... As for the sulfur, get a cheap taste and odor filter for it if it bothers you, or just fill you up some jugs of water and let them sit a couple of days for your drinking water... The sulfur smell subsides quite a bit after a few days of settling and it is actually healthy so they say... I don't know who "they" are, "they" probably died a long time ago doing some of the stupid things "they" like to say...

Anyway, I live near a natural sulfur water spring here in GA and tons of people go there and fill jugs all day of that boiled-egg smelling crapola...

Old 12-27-02, 07:11 PM
B
Bill Locke
Visiting Guest
Well vs water line

Very valid points, and much appreciated. The sulphur water around here eats through everything inside the house eventually, but I could deal with that in the short term.
Have a great new year!

Old 12-28-02, 04:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

I fully agree with Ragnar.
You will be better off going with the deep well and water treatment, so that you still have a water well for exterior use (sans treatment) once you get public water.
I also live out in "farm country", and I'm on County water now, but I have kept and maintained a well for watering the yard, washing cars, etc. In fact, I'll be putting a new shallow well down this Spring.
The main plus for public water is if you lose power, you still have water, unlike a well and pump system (unless you have a portable generator).
We have sulphur water in this area, and people use those fiberglass aerator tanks made for the purpose to get rid of the odor.
If you can get one cheap, great.
If your water also is acidic (high pH), you also can get an acid neutralizer tank (rent or buy), and other filters, if necessary.
High pH water is good for evergreens, pine trees, etc., and you can use a little pelletized lime to neutralize the lawn, if you choose.
For excellent tutorials on wells and pumps, visit www.peekspump.com and www.jessstryker.com
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-28-02, 05:00 AM
T
You might try cleaning out the bottom of your shallow well. I'm assuming that it is a hand dug well? I've heard that just cleaning out the silt that accumulates on the bottom of the well will plug the vein up over time. Might get you by cheaply until the new water line gets put in. Good Luck.

Old 01-10-03, 09:41 AM
H
Hi There. I work for a water utility and I don't think it'll be cheap at all for you to connect if the waterline is a half mile away.

We do not allow people to install long services, they must install our minimum pipe size of 6 inches, and our construction costs usually run about 50-75 dollars/ foot.

What has hapened in the past for us - especially this past year with the drought, is that people that were in your situation contacted the state environmental department as well as their municipal government and those two entities were able to work with us to extend the line down to their locations sooner than it would've gotten there through development.

We are a Private Water Company, NOT a municipal Authority, so we cannot just put pipe in the ground since our customers will eventually have to pay for it. Usually all of our expansion comes from developers that want our water to service their new project, so they pay to have the lne put in. Municipal Authorities generally can put in lines wherever and whenever they want, since they recoup their costs through the Tapping Fee, not their regular rates. (we don't have a tapping fee)

Speak to your neighbors and the local authorities to try to convince them to bring that line closer to where you are as soon as possible. In the mean time try to get by with what you have. Unless your well has completely dried up, it should still provide you with enough water for irrigation once you get hooked up to city water. Why spend all the money on the new well when it's going to be contaminated with hydrogen Sulfide anyway? (from the sound of it that's what causes the rotten egg odor and last time I checked it was toxic to humans)

Good luck.

Old 01-10-03, 01:08 PM
B
Bill Locke
Visiting Guest
update

I have tentative permission at least to tap into the local water line that is already in. (they will not extend the line up our road for awhile.) All they require is a 2" line minimum. I have a contractor coming in to give me a quote on installation of this line from the other road to the house. THAT will be the deciding factor as to what happens next.
Thanks for the helpful replies and advice.