Replace faucet at whirlpool tub

Old 12-30-02, 12:57 PM
onechick
Visiting Guest
Question Replace faucet at whirlpool tub

I need to replace the faucet in my whirlpool tub, but the marble surround has to be removed first. Any hints on getting that removed without breaking the marble and is there info I need regarding replacing the tub faucet as opposed to a lavatory sink faucet?

Old 12-30-02, 01:08 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
Do you really need to replace the faucet or does it just need rebuilding? Repairs can be made above the tub but to replace it you're in for a nasty job if there wasn't an access left in the marble.
Let us know.

Old 12-30-02, 02:45 PM
onechick
Visiting Guest
I really need to replace it. One of the lav faucets required replacement and the bronze finish (from the '80's) was no longer available so I replaced both lav faucets in a satin chrome finish. Now I need the tub faucet to match.

Old 12-30-02, 03:56 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
OK. So much for the easy job. Where on the tub is the faucet located? Is it on the side of the tub or at the end. If it is at the end; what is on the other side of the wall that the faucet is near?
I'm guessing it's at the end and shares a wall with a shower.
If it shares a wall with the shower; is the shower the type with ceramic tiles or an acrylic one piece type construction?

Old 12-31-02, 08:33 AM
onechick
Visiting Guest
I do have luck with me on one count - the faucet is on the side so I shouldn't have to mess with removing the ceramic tile in the shower.

Old 12-31-02, 04:07 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
Personally I'd rather mess with the shower tile. I suggest you check with a tile and marble shop in your area. They can get you in touch with a pro that can cut the marble with a diamond saw and likely build an access using the marble piece that can be removed at a later date if the need arises. I don't know why so many installations do not have access to the faucet and motor for future needs other than pure laziness.
Have a good day and please let us know the outcome.
Happy New Year to you and yours.

Old 12-31-02, 06:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, the trim on your old valve is probably relatively simple to change compared to the whole changeout and most tub valves will offer trim for their valves in several finishes... It would benefit you probably to take off a handle and a piece of trim and take it to HD or to a plumbing supply and see if they can order it in a different finish... You could probably just order the individual parts online if you could get the brand name of the tub valve...

Old 01-02-03, 07:25 AM
onechick
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: