Leaking joint - black ABS waste drain pipe

Old 12-30-02, 08:26 PM
stewgm
Visiting Guest
Question Leaking joint - black ABS waste drain pipe

I need some advice before going any further. I detected a leak in my basement. I opened the ceiling and saw a Y shaped waste drain pipe (4" or bigger). The upstairs toilet is linked to this drain as is the bathtub, and the sink. A leak has appeared in what seems to be the joint. It leaks whenever the toilet is flushed or the tub is drained. The "glue" looks good. I tried to take the pipe apart, but I am not strong enough, and I am somewhat unsure of what to do to get the leak in check. You help is really appreciated. Thanks......Marie

Old 12-30-02, 08:52 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there any weight bearing pressure on the pipe? sometimes when the pipiung is run through the joists or a wall without sufficient clearence the settling of the house will put pressure on the piping and joints and they will crack. If it wasn't glued properly then it most likely would have leaked from the beginning of installation. The best way to repair it would be to cut it out and replace it, if possible. Do you have access to all three runs of pipe from the wye with enough room to cut in some no hub couplings. you will need about 2 1/4 inches clearence from each hub of the pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: