Hot water heater

Old 12-31-02, 11:54 AM
chambersdj
Visiting Guest
Hot water heater is rattling - Leak?

My hot water heater is making a faint rattling sound, the same type of sound it makes when a faucet is turned on at a low rate. The sound is coming from the pipe that runs out to the house. I can also hear the sound in the pipes under the house.

I checked for leaks at the faucets, and under the house, but can't locate a leak.

I am stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by chambersdj; 12-31-02 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-31-02, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas or electric?

How old is the tank?

Could be sediment in the bottom of the tank, sounds travel though out the entire system no matter where the sourse could be at.

Old 12-31-02, 02:08 PM
chambersdj
Visiting Guest
Water heater is 9 years old, electric. I tried draining some water from the tank, it came out clear. However, I may not be following the proper procedure as the water came out cool. Shouldn't it drain out warm?

I have had rust problems in the hot water lines in the past.

Old 12-31-02, 02:15 PM
When water heats in a tank thats had sediment inb it it can make noises, not sure what to say, but you could replace the tank, and hope that is the problem.

Other option is to call a local plumber see if they can come and and see what they think is the problem, I'm not there, so my ideas are just that.

Old 12-31-02, 02:34 PM
chambersdj
Visiting Guest
I think that your are probably right about the sediment. At nearly 10 years it is getting time for replacement soon anyway. I think I'll keep an eye on it for a while and start shopping for a new one in the near future.

Thanks very much for your thoughts!

DC

Old 12-31-02, 03:09 PM
I have traced sounds like yours back to the heat trap balls located in the inlet and outlet of some heaters. It seems like there would have to be water flow to cause it but I can't confirm that. Don't scrap the heater until you check the rest of the house. Watch the water meter and see if you have any movement at all. Or turn off the cold water inlet to the heater and see if it still does it. You could change the elements for a lot less money than a new heater. Good luck

Old 12-31-02, 03:18 PM
Good thought Kfield, yes this could be a source of the noise, and yes this happens when water is turned on at any fixture hot side only.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: