Ice maker waterhose repair

Old 01-01-03, 05:39 PM
shewin
Visiting Guest
Ice maker waterhose repair

I recently burned a small hole in my waterhose leading to the ice maker. I know the metal hose is the better kind, however I'm currently renting and of course the landlord told me that anything installed has to remain, therefore I opted for the less expensive hose. Anyway, i turned off the cold water at the source, but now need to know how to repair the hose. I was told to get a coupler, cut the burned area out of the hose, and put the two ends back together. Of course, that didn't work because once the water was turned on (which, btw slid out of the coupler easily without the water on), the pressure from the water made the hose come out and/or leak. Someone else had already told me I should use teflon tape to hold it all together, but the guys at the hardware store act as though that idea was stupid and of course assured me the coupler would be enough. It wasn't...I just want to know how can I repair this thing without any hassles or anymore bad advice...the guys at the hardware store seemed to have the attitude that "the little lady" was trying to do something one of their boys should come in and repair and of course be paid a criminal amount for. Even I can tell this isn't rocket science...duh

Old 01-01-03, 07:02 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

You can buy the copper tubing at the Depot for less then $10.00, and then no problems afterwards. Good luck!

Old 01-01-03, 07:09 PM
shewin
Visiting Guest
True...but after spending the ten bucks it take to travel to the nearest Depot, what's the savings?...

Old 01-01-03, 07:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well the coupler was the right answer if you are talking about a 1/4" compression coupling with 2 compression rings... one for each side... In addition to the coupler, you will need two "inserts" for the plastic tubing... this keeps the plastic from just smashing flat when the compression rings tighten down... Anyway, put an insert into the end of each side of the tube, put a compression nut onto each side, then brush some teflon pipe dope OR wrap a wrap of teflon tape over the COMPRESSION RING... Then put the tubes into the coupler and tighten down the nuts, making sure not to let the tubing slip out while you tighten...

And while it may not be rocket science, it isn't simple... It took us plumber types a lot of years to learn what we know, and as irritating as it was for you to be talked down to by the guys at the hardware store, I feel equally insulted when people remind me of how simple my trade is while at the same time asking for help on a project... I hope it goes good for you though... Let us know how it turns out...

Old 01-01-03, 07:13 PM
If you use a standard compression fitting on plastic, it will do as you saw and push apart. What you need is a small sleeve that fits inside the plastic tube to make it harder to collapse. You probably got them for the ends when you connected the icemaker originally. You can use the parts you already have, just try to locate those sleeves. They are about 1/2" long and have a slight flare on one end to keep them from going too far into the end of the plastic. Forget the teflon tape and whatever else. Use the 1/4" compression union with those sleeves and you will be set. Or change to copper and forget the sleeves. You will just need new ferrules for the end of the lines.

Old 01-01-03, 07:24 PM
shewin
Visiting Guest
by no means did i mean to "personally" insult you by saying that repairing this could not be rocket science, however if you took it personally, i apologize...i also trained for a number of years in my profession that also involves giving information on a daily basis to those who "have no idea"...perhaps my skin is a bit thicker than others...again, please accept my apology...

Old 01-01-03, 07:36 PM
I'm sorry. I totally missed the insult. I thought I read the whole post, but I must have skimmed over it. Now that I re-read it my feelings are shattered.

If it was rocket science, your ice cubes would taste like crap and your little burn hole would have sent you to the moon. Of course they don't use plastic tubing for rocket fuel anyway.

As I was told once by an old timer, "Those who can, DO. Those who can't, Teach."

I hear stuff like you were told every day at the counter of my favorite supply house. Like telling people to lube up the spout o-rings on their faucet with vaseline. That way they will be back next year for a new spout and o-rings. After they swell to high heaven and make you break off the spout.

This forum at least gets more than one opinion on a question and that beats the hardware store.

Old 01-01-03, 07:53 PM
shewin
Visiting Guest
perhaps i'm not posting and/or replying properly...K field...my apology was not intended for you...in fact i thought your advice was excellent....please fill me in me in on what you're talking about...i missed something

Old 01-01-03, 08:06 PM
Shewin, you are posting fine... and I tried to give you the full run down on how to accomplish your plumbing project, so I was not that offended... I was only defending the trade as a whole because I have a great deal of appreciation for the trade my grandfather and father taught me... I was merely pointing out that a lot of people like to point out how simple it a job is while at the same time admitting that they don't have the knowledge to do it... And commonly they also insinuate that a plumber would rip them off... You just happened to do both, by saying: " I don't want to pay a 'criminal' amount," and " I know this isn't rocket science, duh"... My point is, when I need help from a mechanic, or a doctor, or lawyer, or electrician or any trade of which I don't have complete knowledge, I try to be as gracious as possible, recognizing that they have more knowledge on the subject than I because they took the time to learn the trade, and I also try to recognize that they EARN their money by doing something that other people don't know how to do... Knowledge is worth a great deal of money.... Anyway, I didn't mean to take it out on you, I just hear that a lot, and it is a personal pet peeve of mine... ...

Hope you get your icemaker fixed.....

Old 01-01-03, 08:06 PM
I was joking actually. I saw that Ragnar got slightly perturbed by the rocket science thing so I went back and read over it again and jumped on the bandwagon. Just a little fun.

I get the same feeling when in the movies people make references to plumbers and plumbing like we are low-life and we enjoy the smell of you-know-what. I'd rather be in this field than be some ambulance chasing lawyer.

Good luck with the icemaker line. You are posting and replying properly as far as I can tell.

Old 01-01-03, 08:28 PM
shewin
Visiting Guest
Wink

Now that I've had a moment to regroup from the lashings and bandaged the verbally inflicted bumps i've taken, i want to thank each of you who have responded to my inquiry...i do feel that i actually have a better chance to "do it myself" because of your responses.

smooches,
shewin

Old 01-01-03, 08:36 PM
Wow, were some of those smooches for me?! I'll take it...

Old 01-01-03, 09:05 PM
shewin
Visiting Guest
of course they were...

thanks again until later...
shewin

Old 01-02-03, 04:13 PM
By the way, I should have mentioned that while brass compression rings will work on the plastic tubing with the proper inserts, it is better to use the sleeves designed for plastic tubing... They are called delrin sleeves and they are white plastic sleeves...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: