New Fluidmaster. Flapper won't close.

Old 01-05-03, 08:32 PM
Grimer
Visiting Guest
New Fluidmaster. Flapper won't close.

I just installed a new Fluidmaster in my toilet, like I've done before. Only this time when I tried flushing it, the flapper pulls up properly, but then kind of floats about an inch or two above the drain and won't go all the way down to seal and let the tank fill up.

I tried adjusting the chain at different lengths and holes. And I even bought a new flapper and tried that out. It didn't make a difference.

It kind of seems like the water is coming in too much before the flapper has a chance to get all the way down. This could be my imagination.

Any thoughts? I'm going crazy because I know this is so simple.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-03, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry

I think that Fluidmaster's Quality control blew this one!!!

I've installed only Fluidmaster flappers and ballcocks for a number of years now and have had no trouble until about 2 years ago when I started having the same problem, with flappers that I've installed!! It's a design problem. The plastic flange between the two "arms" is a little too narrow! It "catches" on the tube and keeps the stopper from closing on its own.

You could take a sharp knife and trim a little of the plastic away until it doesn't "catch" or return it for a new one! They seem to have resolved the problem.

Old 01-06-03, 08:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have seen those defective flappers/flush valves also, but just for your own sake, if you are worried that the water flow may be interfering, let the tank fill up, then turn the water off to the toilet and then flush it with no water coming back in... Then see if the flapper drops appropriately... If it does, then just turn the water back on, but don't turn it up to full volume.... Experiment until you get enough flow that it doesn't interfere...

Old 01-06-03, 08:23 PM
The only product I use by fluidmaster is the fillvalve and there supply lines, as for flappers I use Red Korky, there the best flaaper out there.

Old 01-06-03, 10:24 PM
Grimer
Visiting Guest
i think it's the water coming in too fast and not letting the flapper close. Is it ok to turn down the valve? I thought they always had to be all the way open to prevent the pipes from banging?

thanks for your replies.

Old 01-06-03, 10:43 PM
Yes it is ok to turn the water down, won't hurt a thing.

Old 01-07-03, 06:10 PM
Grimer
Visiting Guest
water was coming in too fast. Called Fluidmaster and they said to turn the fill valve 1/8 to change the direction of the water, and to make sure the tubing going into the overflow pipe was at an angle and not straight down. I tried that first and it worked. Flapper goes down like it should now. I didn't have to turn down the water at the valve. Thanks for all your replies.