Increase Supply Pipe diameter?

Old 01-08-03, 12:55 PM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
Increase Supply Pipe diameter?

I am adding a second bath to my house in the basement directly below the first bathroom. The hot and cold supply lines to the existing bath are 1/2" copper. The 1/2" copper lines are attached to 3/4" copper lines (for both hot and cold) about 15 feet away, where the kitchen sink is located. From there, 3/4" lines run the rest of the way to the meter (about 8') and hot water heater (about 20').

Should I (functionality) or do I need to (code requirements) increase both the hot and cold 1/2" supplies to 3/4" when I add the second bath? It doesn't look like it would be too difficult to change the pipes. The runs are not that long and they are all exposed(attached to the underside of the floor joists), and I will have to do some re-routing of the pipes anyway to install the ceiling in the new bath. Thoughts?

Thankx. --=--Brew.

Old 01-08-03, 01:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You should run 3/4" up to the new bathrrom from a 3/4" tie in. and reduce to 1/2" at each fixture.

Old 01-09-03, 05:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I love it when Plumber2000 and I agree... I somehow feel that the universe is back in sync when we do... but anyway, our latest code edition allows for us to feed 2 fixtures with 1/2" but never more on a single 1/2" feed, and never when one of the fixtures is a toilet or shower... Higher use fixtures will draw too much water and you will have one of those cases where when you flush the toilet, the shower volume will drop significantly... Anyway... run two 3/4" lines to the bathroom, AND put one gate valve on each of the 3/4" feeds to hot and cold so that the downstairs bath will be isolated by the two valves... That way, if you ever have a problem in the downstairs bathroom, you won't have to shut the water off to the rest of the house until it gets fixed... This is a good practice to follow ANYTIME you add fixtures to a home though it is NOT a code requirement in most cases...

Old 01-09-03, 07:53 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Amen

Hey Ragnar, you have over 400 post and I have over 3000, would that not mean your now a 10% moderator, and no loger 5% Moderator. LOL

Old 01-09-03, 08:18 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Brewbeer and Ragnar -- Ditto with what Ron said!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: