losing hot water

Old 01-14-03, 08:45 PM
helptofixit
Visiting Guest
losing hot water

I have an 80 gallon electric water heater. Just recently (initially while in the bath) i noticed that I could not fill the tub completely before running out of hot water. However, if I wait for say 5 minutes or so I can turn the water on let it run for a minute or 2 and then I will get hot again for a while.

What could this be? Do I need to drain the tank - if so how is that done?

Any input is apprecaited.

thanks

Old 01-14-03, 08:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Maybe an element out on the bottom of the heater or the dip tube maybe broken in the water heater.

<script language="javascript" src="http://hc2.humanclick.com/hc/62783731/x.js?cmd=file&file=chatScript3&site=62783731&category=en;bravenet;0"> </script>

Old 01-15-03, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your symptoms seem to indicate a broken dip tube. It is located in the cold water inlet of the heater. You will need to shut off the cold water inlet and cut the pipe above the heater and remove the fitting in the tank. The dip tube is usually held in with a rubber washer stuck in the fitting. Pull out what you can and get a new one at a plumbing supply store. It should go nearly to the bottom of the tank. Within 3" at least. You will probably find a 12" long splintered piece of junk in there.

Old 01-15-03, 07:16 PM
P
I would try the element first. The upper element is the one that tries to keep up with demand as water is being used. If you shut it off for a few minutes then that top element would be able to heat a little more water, matching your symptoms. The bigger question...Why do you have an 80 gallon HWH? Is this a biggaz whirlpool tub you are trying to fill or just your standard bathtub?

Old 01-16-03, 06:16 AM
The recovery rate on an 80 gallon electric water heater isn't enough that a few minutes would make much of a difference in actual temperature. The way I visualized it was with the hot water from the tank all stacked up at the top and the cold water coming in through the broken dip tube and mixing with that hot water and giving cool water at the shower. Then after the faucet is turned off and the water gets a chance to separate again due to temperature difference. If you really used all the hot water in that tank you will wait a very long time before you get any hot water at the faucet.

But the thermostats are the easiest thing to change so why not renew them first.

If it's an AO Smith, I think they were the first and the worst with the dip tube problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: