Venting basement bath out side 1st floor

Old 01-23-03, 01:07 PM
DarrinH
Visiting Guest
Venting basement bath out side 1st floor

The plumbing in my home was not put in correctly.
I wish to build a basement bathroom about 12' from the main soil stack which vents through the roof.
The soil stack is the only plumbing vent for my home.
I have 3 bathrooms and I do not think any reventing was used.
The bathroom I wish to build in the basement is actually a relocation of the existing basement bath.
The best way to vent the relocated basement bath would be out of the ceiling in the basement.
This would place the vent on the side of my home at the first floor level.
What are the drawbacks to venting so low to the ground?
Odor?
I reside in a very rural area, there are no codes enforced.
This is obvious when you look at the methods used to build my home.

Old 01-23-03, 01:27 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the vent should not terminate three feet above, or ten feet away from any openable window. The vent is supposed to go through the roof.

Old 01-23-03, 04:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Questions?

What makes you say that you only have one vent going through the roof? Have you checked in the attic for other vents that may tie in before they go out the roof... They are usually half-covered in insulation... Anyway, as to the vent out the side of the building, odor can be a definite problem; try to get it well above any windows that may be opened... You could try to get the vent to the attic and tie it in to the other vent, or get it out the roof... By the way, how many baths in your house? You would almost have to have two vents, possibly three, but have you ever had any problems with gurgling in the p-traps and such? If not, then what else makes you say the plumbing is bad? What kind of pipe is your house roughed in with? One more thing... you SHOULD get that vent out the roof, or tie it in at the attic level for it to be right... If you do anything less than that, then you can't talk about how bad the former plumber did anymore, because you are taking more of the same shortcuts that he did...

Old 02-04-03, 01:24 PM
DarrinH
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the answer, I only have one vent pipe out the roof.
The others may tie in before it exits. I do have some movement and backflow of odor from the sink when you flush the toilet on the second floor along with some slow drain of the existing toilet in the basement (the one I want to move).

Out the side would be the only possibility due to the position of the new bath unless I went across the basement ceiling to the old vent wherever it may be.
The vent out the side would be below two windows on the side of my home so I guess thats a real bad idea.

Otherwise I would have to go up two stories within an existing wall to get the new vent out the roof which would be a nightmare.

Not a good situation.

The house has 1/2" supply PVC I believe and the drains are 3" I think.

Old 02-04-03, 04:29 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You have 3 bathrooms (and are talking about a 4th), the kitchen, and the laundry being supplied by 1/2" PVC pipe, and you are worried about the vents?? I'm lost!!

Old 02-04-03, 07:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check out www.studor.com and see some of the basic drawings on the site... they give you an idea how to terminate the vent using an air-admittance valve... That would certainly be an option far better than venting your new bath near an outside window... And it would certainly look better too... If no codes are enforced then you should be safe, but if there is an inspection department, check with them first...

Old 02-07-03, 01:01 PM
DarrinH
Visiting Guest
Sorry for all of the confusion. I have 3 baths, I am moving the location of the 3rd one in the basement (counting from top down).
I have decided to do it correctly by running a new vent line to the attic through the 1st and 2nd floor bedrooms in the corner of the room. Its my only choice, no closets available nearby, I will just have to build boxes around the vent and finish with drywall and paint. I can then tie the vent line to the existing vent exiting the roof in the attic.

The main soil stack is all that is vented in my home. There are no vents coming from each drain that tie into the main stack. The stack also does not have a clear shot to the roof it comes up from the concrete basement floor then does a horizontal detour to pick up the toilet, sink, shower for the first floor bath then shoots straight up to the second floor bath and out the roof.

My toilet is also upstream in the drainage system from the sink so when you flush and go to wash your hands you get some gas discharge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: