Bath Tub Plumbing Pipe question

Old 01-27-03, 06:10 AM
brad2575
Visiting Guest
Bath Tub Plumbing Pipe question

Hello,

I created an image to help illustrate my problem. You can view it at http://www.geocities.com/brad_75/tub.jpg if you have any questions please email me at brad_75@yahoo.com. (Any help is very appreciated)

Materials used in project:
1. Drain waste over flow kit (1 1/2 in metal pipe (copper colored, possibly copper).
2. Plastic pipe approximately 6 in long. This pipe has a screw connector on one end to screw into the above kit. The other end bevels inward a little so it can slide into the existing sewer/waste pipe.
3. My existing sewer/waste pipe is a 1 1/2 in metal pipe.

Project:
I replaced my tub, the Drain waste over flow kit, and the pipe connecting the tub drain to the existing sewer line. My house has a crawl space.

1. I attached the Drain waste over flow kit to the tub (and secured all the fittings with Teflon tape).
2. Then I set the tub into place.
3. I crawled under the house and slid the plastic pipe into the existing sewer/waste pipe. It slide in and fit securely.
4. I then took the other end of the plastic pipe, and using the screw fitting on that end, connected it to the tub drain.

I tested the pipes with running water and had no leaks. My question/concern is that after I ran the tests I turned the water on all the way and I looked down at the pipes (from access panel behind tub) and there was still no leaks but when I look at the seal/section where the plastic pipe slides into the metal waste pipe, I can barely see water flowing/bubbling up a little bit between the outside of the plastic pipe and the inside of the metal pipe. It is not dripping or overflowing yet but my concern is that it may do so if the drain becomes a little clogged/slow or just over time.

My question is, is this normal? If not what can I do to fix this seal? If I worked plumbers putty into and around the seal? Go around the seal with caulking? Do both by putting plumbers putty then caulking over the putty?

Any help would be appreciated, and again I can send an image through email to better explain. You can email me at brad_75@yahoo.com.

Thank You,
Brad

Last edited by brad2575; 01-27-03 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-27-03, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, you did everything right, except the plastic to metal connection should have been made with a fernco coupling (rubber coupling with 2 hose clamps)... That would eliminate the problem you speak off... Incidentally, what you have now is simply an indirect drain (similar to what you have on your washing machine... Arguably it would be better to have water back up in the crawlspace than IN the tub, but of course you may not know that it is backing up... Anyway, the best thing to do is to get the coupling and install it...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: