Busted Water pipes

Old 01-27-03, 06:32 AM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Busted Water pipes

The cold water PCV pipe leading to my washing machine separted at a joint & i posted about it earlier. Well B4 i had a chance to fix that the other pipe burst at the same type of joint. I've deduced that it's PCV & not CPCV, but it's the joint that i'm worried about. It reads:

PCV-I
NSF-PW
D-2466
1/2

Not sure what any of that besides the half means, but the joint is shaped like a 'V' with an obtuse angle. Can anyone tell me what's going on here, B4 i make an attempt to repair it? Besides water expanding. Is there a specific type of joint to use for that? Specific glue?

Old 01-27-03, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PVC pipe for water pressure should be primed with PURPLE primer first (the clear will work but purple is code for us)... Secondly use the GREEN can of PVC Heavy Duty glue... let is sit for about 30 minutes or so and then you can pressurize it...

Now on a different note, you said the pvc is the cold side and then you say the SAME type of joint came loose on the OTHER pipe... If the other pipe is the HOT side, then it should NOT be run in pvc... PVC is rated for COLD ONLY... not for hot... CPVC is a little more expensive but is rated for hot and COLD...

Old 01-27-03, 06:24 PM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes. Well the first one seperated...& the second (hot) burst. I didn't install it. But both were the same type. I'll definitely replace them with CPCV. Question. The pipe itself did not burst. But the joint did. Is there any way to prevent this?

Old 01-28-03, 08:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, your problem is that the pipe froze to begin with... It doesn't matter where it broke... If the fitting hadn't blown loose, then the pipe would have split down the side... One way or another, that ice was going to find a way out...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: