No water after installing new Pressure Reducing Valve

Old 01-27-03, 02:05 PM
sgoyal
Visiting Guest
No water after installing new Pressure Reducing Valve

Ok, here is how it all happened, hope someone can help.

My old pressure reducing valve was leaking water near the adjustment screw.

I turned the main supply off at the shut-off valve ( not the one on the side walk)

Changed the valve, with a Wilkin model 70.

Went to turn on the water again, and the shut-off-valve just kept turning, wouldn't open.

I turned off the city shut off valve, and changed the broken shut-off valve.

Opened everything back-up, there are no leaks, plenty of pressure at the hose spiket between the shut-off valve and the regulator.

No water coming out of any faucet in the house.

Thinking I have a bad regulator, swapped it out with another new one. Still the same thing

My water pipes are made of copper as far as I can see, haven't looked under the house yet.

WHATS GOING ON???? Thank You in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-03, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just for the sake of asking, have you seen the arrow on the side of the PRV?

We can go from there....

Old 01-27-03, 03:44 PM
sgoyal
Visiting Guest
Actually this unit can only be installed one way because the inlet is male (that takes the existing union on the pipe), and the outlet is female. Still I double checked the directional arrows and its ok.

A little more info. that maybe relevent.

I looked at the screen on the inlet side, it looked fine with both the regulators.

I also disconnected the outlet side (going into the house) and ran the water into a bucket, water was flowing fine out of the PR after I turned on the supply outside.

Thanks.

Old 01-27-03, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, unfortunately I agree... That sounds like a PRV that was installed backwards... It won't let a drop of water out...

Old 01-27-03, 03:49 PM
Well, now you have a truly confounding problem... You are doing all the right things to diagnose the problem... Have you had sub-freezing temps that may have a portion of the main line frozen? Check the line thoroughly from the PRV to where it goes up into the house and such... Just look closely for breaks or bulges or frozen valves and such...

As to the PRV only being able to be installed one way, they can ALWAYS be installed backwards... They can be made with any combination of male and female fitting or solder fittings... Also your existing pipes could have any combination of fittings as well... You just got lucky and the correct way happens to be the easiest way to install it... But nevertheless, I am glad you double-checked the direction...

Old 01-27-03, 05:06 PM
sgoyal
Visiting Guest
I just got off the phone with a plumber and...

In order to change the PRV, I had to remove some 'dead' plumbing for an old water softener. The old plumbing looked like two dead heads rising up from the main line and what looked like a hot water line. There was a shut-off valve in-between the two, that appeared to be closed off. There was also flex-pipe loop connecting the two sides, after removing it all and dis-assembling the loop, I didn't find any water there so assumed I should cap off the two lines. So I cut away the un-neccessary plumbing and capped the ends off.

This plumber says, those two lines need to be looped together. I guess thats what I have to try next after going home. I could've sworn there was no water in that loop. How can hot and cold be looped together??

Sorry I didn't post this before because I thought it was irrelevant.

Old 01-27-03, 05:18 PM
Well, what is sounds like you are describing is a bypass for the old water softener... There is likely no hot water involved... The valve in between was to stop the water so it would be forced to go through the softener, but if the valve is opened the water softener can be turned off and not be used and can be maintained... Sounds like that will solve your problem when you reconnect those two pipes...

Old 01-28-03, 10:38 AM
sgoyal
Visiting Guest
Yup, thats what it was. The line that I thought was HOT was actually a cold water line. One line went straight out to the backyard for the hose-bib and the loop was needed to connect that to the main house line.

thanks for the help.