Prime in Pump Lost?

Old 01-28-03, 02:59 AM
P
psbuike
Visiting Guest
Prime in Pump Lost?

We lost power last night and now have no water this morning. Could it be possible that we lost the prime on our well pump - and if so how do we prime it??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-03, 10:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Depending upon where you are and the weather, it may be more likely that it is frozen up.
For how-to on priming a pump, do a Search above on the subject for past posts on it. I know that I've posted it before several times.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-28-03, 02:30 PM
A
Aquaman
Visiting Guest
It would depend on the kind of pump you have. If you have a submersible pump it would not need priming, it could however be burnt out due to the power outage or a fuse could be blown.

If you have a jet pump and the pump is running, but no water is coming out the pump could have lost it's prime. I will tell you that if it did loose it's prime you have more problems than just no water. (A jet pump that looses prime has a leaky foot valve or check valve, this would make the pump run every so often even if no water is being used).

To prime a pump you remove a plug or pipe from the top of the pump pour in clean water (not lake or stream water) replace the plug and start the pump (do this until the pump starts pumping) only let the pump run for two minutes or so at a time.

Dan