height of sink drain

Old 01-29-03, 10:16 PM
heedicus
Visiting Guest
height of sink drain

hellos to all,
I in my infinite remodeling wisdom have screwed up. Here is the setup.
I had a vanity with one sink in the bathroom, I pulled out the vanity and the drywall behind the vanity to get at the plumbing.
I Teed the drain stack for two sinks. When i put in the T i think I put it in too high. It is barely lower than the bottom of the sink. Thus making the use of a regular P-trap impossible. I can make it work with using extentions on both sides, will that be ok? What should I do? Do I have to tear out the wall or am I ok using extentions?
I can supply pictures if need be,
Thanks,
tren

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-03, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need to tear it out and lower the tee. Then use p-traps for each basin.

Old 01-30-03, 08:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have on occasion turned the trap around backwards to get a little more height on it for getting to a drain that might have been roughed too high... It makes the trap about an inch deeper... If you are having to make the trap much deeper than the standard, then you might consider changing the plumbing in the wall... For floor drains and such, they actually make extra-deep p-traps to help slowdown the evaporation problems that occur, so it is acceptable to have a deep trap, just don't get carried away...

Old 01-30-03, 10:35 PM
What Ragnar says is right. But when you mention that the tee in the wall is barely lower than the bottom of the sink, that means that the water that stays in the p-trap will be JUST as barely lower than the bottom of the sink. That is not a godd situation, especially if you are thinking about installing a pop-up valve in this lavy. (The tee in the wall needs to be at least 6" below the bottom of the basin to have the height necessary for a pop-up valve.) Without the pop-up valve, it really should be a minimum of at least 3" below the bottom of the basin.

Old 02-02-03, 10:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My apologies to Heedicus...

I unintentionally deleted your last post... I edited when I should have replied and erased your message, so I had to delete it...

For those of you that missed it, he was thanking Lefty, and asking for further advice in moving the drain down 6" or so...

As for moving it down, you have done it once, so it will only be easier this time... Move it down to about 17" or 18" above the finished floor and you should be safe... As you found out the hard way, it is better to be LOW than HIGH... If it is a little low, you can always add an extension to the tailpiece...

Let us know how it goes...

Old 02-02-03, 10:54 PM
heedicus
Visiting Guest
thanks ragnar,
thanks everyone! this forum has been invaluable in this whole ordeal, i will post after it has finish!
thanks,
tren