Shower water supply

Old 02-03-03, 08:01 PM
kornballe
Visiting Guest
Shower water supply

I'm redoing a shower to be a "his & hers" with each side having head/body/hand sprays totalling about 15 gpm flow. I understand that I need high-flow 3/4" valves (one per side). Right now, the shower has 1/2" hot and cold supply lines, which I guess I will just cap off. Grohe recommends that each valve have it's own separate 3/4" hot and cold supply lines. My main coming into the house is 1" copper. The hot water heater lines are 3/4". Where is the proper place to tap in two new 3/4" cold and two new 3/4" hot lines (four total new lines) to ensure the best flow and least interference between the two shower valves? Any tricks to help performance? My supply pressure is set at 60 psi at a regulator, which I can adjust if necessary. I want this shower to really perform, so I want to get it right..! Thanks.

Old 02-04-03, 07:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I would run these both from the nearest 3/4" lines.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 02-04-03, 10:59 AM
kornballe
Visiting Guest
That sounds good. Just so I understand this, is there an advantage to running four separate lines all the way from the 3/4" source that I locate? (as opposed to just running two 3/4" lines from this source to the shower area, then tee-ing these off to the two valves?)

Old 02-04-03, 12:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Based on what you have said, there would be no advantage to going all the way to the heater with 4 lines... You would still be cutting into 3/4" lines there and so would gain nothing... If you had 1" going in and out of the heater, then the 4 lines would be advisable... As Mike said, just run 2 lines, 3/4" from the closest hot and cold you can find... Then tee off 3/4" to both valves... The most important part of the body sprays is to pipe them EXACTLY as they are shown in the instructions... They are intended to be piped in a loop usually that balances the pressure and volume to each spray, so don't skimp when you are piping them in... Make your measurements as exact as possible...

As to pressure, 60 psi will likely be plenty... If not, you can always make the adjustment AFTER you are complete to make sure you have sufficient pressure to run the shower...

Old 02-04-03, 12:40 PM
kornballe
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Excellent information. Thank you both!
I shall proceed to make it so...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: