Old Tub Spout Replacement

Old 02-04-03, 07:31 AM
gclermont
Visiting Guest
Old Tub Spout Replacement

The spout diverter suddenly failed to properly divert water to shower. The spout itself has an oversized (about a 1 1/4 inch) thread and it appears that an adapter was sweated onto the normal 1/2 pipe to accommodate this particular spout. However, I can't seem to find a replacement spout with such a large thread size to fit on the adapter so I'm guessing this type of spout isn't standard anymore (if ever).

Is my only option to get the adapter removed so that the more common 1/2 spouts can be used, or is there a source for replacement spouts that anyone knows of for the type I have?

I think its a 10-15 year old Delta spout if that helps at all. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-03, 07:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You can check at plumbing supply houses.
What type of pipe is sticking out of the wall? Galvanized? Copper?
If it's galvanized, you should be able to just unscrew it from the wall fitting counter-clockwise.
If it's copper, you can cut it off (hacksaw or tubing cutter), and get the kind of diverter spout that slides on and is held by a set screw, rather than a screw-on type.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 02-04-03, 07:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Delta still makes a diverter with that type of thread... In fact, I just put four of them on recently in the same house... Call Delta and ask them for a replacement, they may send you one free... Many of their valves have a lifetime warranty... Otherwise, you may have to go check home depot or lowes and see if you can sweet talk them out of one from an open box or something... I haven't seen any for sale separate from the whole valve...

If you have to replace it, that adapter is usually soldered very close to the wall, so you will likely either have to melt it off or rerun the short copper section from behind the tub...

Old 02-12-03, 09:11 AM
gclermont
Visiting Guest
Thank You

Based on your inputs I did some further hunting at a local plumbing supply stores and found the exact spout replacement. Thanks for the help!