Basment finish, bathroom

Old 02-05-03, 01:06 PM
MickeyD1
Visiting Guest
Basment finish, bathroom

Hi, I'm in the process of finishing my basement and have a question about the bath rough put in by the builder. It would appear that the drain for the shower or tub is incorrectly located so I have to either break up the concrete and fix or come up with some other idea. First of all is there an easy way to break up the concrete so that the remaining floor doesn't crack. Second, I have about an 8 foot ceiling so could I build up the shower base and run a 45 degree pipe from the shower to the existing drain line? Sort of sounds goofy but I really don't want to have to bust up the concrete if at all possible. thanks

Old 02-06-03, 02:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Drain lines need to be sloped 1/4" per linear foot towards the main drain line, not 45 degrees.
With an 8' ceiling, you would be better off cutting or breaking up the concrete to relocate any drain lines. You can rent a concrete saw.
Before you do anything, you need to consult your Building Inspection Department for local codes, permit and inspection requirements, which vary from place to place.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 02-06-03, 08:38 AM
R
RMX
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
MickeyD1,
I had the same situation just two weeks ago. My drain was plumbed for a tub(4 feet left of center). We wanted a shower unit only (center drain).I too thought about building a platform and drain down to the exsisting drain. However, this would cause about a 9 inch step into the shower. We decided this would be a pain and not to safe to step out. So, I used concrete blades in the cicular saw to "score" about a 1/4" deep groove in the floor. This will allow the concrete to break fairly evenly when using the jack hammer. I had never used a jack hammer before, so I was a little unsure of what I was getting into. I loved it! It was easy and only took about 30 min. including clearing the chunks as I went. I cut a 10"X 48" trench. I dug down around the exsisting drain and very carefully measured for a 1/4" per foot drop from the new drain. The biggest thing is to get that new drain perfectly centered to match the shower unit! After measuring everything 5 or 6 times, I plumbed for the new drain, pored concrete, and while the concrete was still wet, I set the unit in place to make sure the drain lined up. Remember once the concrete dries there is no play as in normal drains through wood subfloor. Good Luck, and don't worry about busting concrete, I really enjoyed it!!

Old 02-06-03, 10:24 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
If you build a custom tile shower, the drain can be placed anywhere, and it doesn't need to be centered.

With pre-fab units, everything needs to line up perfectly.

Old 02-06-03, 03:59 PM
MickeyD1
Visiting Guest
Thanks to all for comments. I figured I might have to break some concrete but wanted to check. I will consider the man-made idea on the shower and see if I can hit the pipe with a reasonable design. My biggest fear of busting the concrete is the chance of creating cracks but the saw idea seems to make good sense. thanks again.

Old 02-10-03, 10:07 AM
jpbaker10
Visiting Guest
Fellas,
Thought one of you guys may be able to help me after reading your posts. My Rough in Plumbing in basement doesn't drain.
I broke the caps off of the drain pipes which stick up from the concrete floor. I poured some water in just to make sure they drained good and they didn't drain at all. Could this just be because of the fact that they have never been used and are blocked by some junk or is there something "special" i need to do in order for them to drain? I believe the shower and toilet are "vented" from under the concrete, and the sink is connected to a vent that goes to the roof.

Old 02-10-03, 10:56 AM
R
RMX
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, I'm not a plumber, but know only enough to be dangerous. I would first check to make sure you are getting proper venting from the vent stack. You say there is a vent from the sink. If the distance ("crucial distance") is not too far, then this is the same venting for the toilet and shower. Did you try all drains ? There should be a p-trap for the shower drain 12"-18" below the floor. The toilet drain has no trap(built into the toilet itself). If your venting is good and all drains won't flow, then you have a blockage in the main line going from that bath. If only the tub/shower drain is not working, then the blockage is in it's p-trap or line going to the main. Once cleared, close those drains back up with rags while constructing. It's real easy to drop something down the drains and then you are back where you started from. Good Luck.

RMX

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: