Plumbing dilema

Old 02-06-03, 04:37 PM
Willdog63
Visiting Guest
Plumbing dilema

I have a one level ranch home with radiator steam heat. I am in the process of adding a second level and need some assistance with my heating options. Can I tie baseboard heating into my existing setup for use on the new level? I'm told I cannot. I'm trying to save some money , am I going to have to retrofit the entire system to accomodate the second floor. In other woirds should I pull out all the radiators and replace them and boiler with new baseboard through out the entire house? What are my options if any?
Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-03, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running a hydronic loop off of a steam boiler isn't impossible byany means. Piping is a little tricky and can be a pain in the neck but it can work just fine. Your boiler would have to maintain temperature or have another control to assure hot water for the hydronic loop. Supply and return lines have to be taken off below the water line and should use tappings that will not cause too much turbulence in the boiler. Do not put air vents on the baseboards as there will be no pressure there. You will need a few valves to isolate and fill and purge the loop and a bypass to prevent overheated boiler water from entering the loop.

You may be able to keep your current radiators and convert the system to hydronic. What type of steam system do you have and what do the radiators look like.

Old 02-07-03, 03:46 PM
Willdog63
Visiting Guest
Plumb Dilema cont..

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm not sure what type of steam I have. The radiators are large cast iron units with noisy release valves. I have the glass tube on the boiler that I monitor and fill with the water line to a predetermined marking every so often.
I need to look close at the boiler for a manufacturer and will supply next thread..
As far as cost how about buying a new smaller boiler for the 2nd floor baseboard s. Cant I just hook this up next to the existing boiler. Wont that be a 2 zone?

Thanks for your help.