fernco donut installation

Old 02-06-03, 08:28 PM
Mark B
Visiting Guest
fernco donut installation

I've been reading some earlier posts about Fernco fittings which helped convince me to use one of their 'donut's to replace my old lead drainpipe into the bell coupling of my 3 inch kithchen waste pipe.

My questions are: What sort of prep work should I do to the existing fitting after taking out the old pipe and the lead/oakum packing material? Should I sand the surface to make it smooth, or will that compromise the ability of the neoprene donut to make a seal? Also, can I use oil or soap to make it easier to push the fitting into the bell with the 2 inch ABS drain pipe already in? For that matter, do you pound the fitting into the bell first, then work the drainpipe in (that seems like it would be quite difficult)? The poorly written instructions wrapped around the fitting mention inserting a spigot through the center of the donut as a first step? What's this spigot? Did I miss something? Thanks to all who respond.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-03, 09:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You DO NOT want to use a donut to make that joint, as it will be in the wall and will likely leak... The only place I might consider using a donut is for the tap out in the yard...

Buy a MULTI-TITE gasket... It is a gasket that is made to push into a hub like what you have, then you need to push a piece of cast-iron pipe with a small bead on one end (call no-hub pipe) into the gasket... Then off of that you can properly adapt to PVC or ABS... You can find a fernco brand of the gasket also at Home Depot or Lowes in the same section with all the other fernco stuff...

Old 02-09-03, 07:56 PM
Mark B
Visiting Guest
Ragnar- This installation would actually be in the crawlspace. I'm going through the floor with an 'S' trap to bring the 1 1/2 inch pipe to the 2 inch drainpipe. I'll be replacing the existing lead pipe into a 3 inch cast iron waste pipe with a belled hub that itself goes into the main cast iron waste pipe, all in the crawlspace. It's set in with oakum and lead.

Maybe, too, I'm confusing the term for the Fernco product. What I have is a neoprene sleeve about 2 inches in length that will fit into the hub of the cast iron waste pipe and accept a 2 inch ABS or PVC drainpipe inside of it. The guy at the home center who sold it to me called it a donut. It has concentric rings on the inside and outside, oriented to allow the coupling to be pushed into the waste pipe hub and to accept the 2 inch drainpipe, but then hold them in place. It says PlumbQwik on it (P22U-205), by Fernco. Is this the same thing as the Multi-Tite? It says for sewer and drain use, and the label shows it being inserted into a cast iron hub. It says 'DWV plastic (sch. 40) and X.H. soil pipe on the label. Hope this is the real deal.