Do I have air in my water heater?

Old 02-07-03, 07:35 PM
bit_twiddler
Visiting Guest
Do I have air in my water heater?

I have a 5-yr-old water heater. A couple weeks ago, I tried flushing it according to instructions I saw here. I did not see any sediment come out...just clear water. So I closed up the valve and turned the cold water back on to the water heater.

Since doing that, I have now seen that I would have been better off leaving the cold water supply to the heater on, but probably not a big deal.

However, I have noticed that even at it's hottest setting, I do not have as much hot water as I had before. It seems hot enough, but I only have 2 showers worth instead of 4. Could there be air in the hot water heater that prevents it from heating up the entire volume of water?

If so, how would I bleed it out? I do not have any air in the hot water pipes coming out of the heater.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-03, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this WH gas, or electric??

Old 02-08-03, 12:50 PM
bit_twiddler
Visiting Guest
This is a gas water heater.

Old 02-08-03, 01:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You do not have air in the heater... Air is bled out when you use the heater again for the first time... If it was an electric heater, the concern would be that you burned an element up... but since you are sure it is gas, then the only thing I can figure is that you inadvertently turned the heater down to a lower temp, so you are using more hot water per shower... Check the temperature on the dial and set it between 125 and 135... Sometimes they are marked in different ways, so check the manual to get an idea of where to set it...