Water Softeners water disapears

Old 02-08-03, 08:06 PM
midvor
Visiting Guest
Question Water Softeners water disapears

My water softeners water in the salt tank disappears completely after each regeneration process. If water is not replaced, the softeners does not work. This started to happen couple of weeks ago. Any ideas how to fix this?

Last edited by midvor; 02-08-03 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-03, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It should be drawn out during the regen. There should only ever be a few inches of water in there. During a cycle, water is put in, allowed to dissolve some salt, and then drawn back out.

Old 02-09-03, 06:39 AM
midvor
Visiting Guest
I have usually about 12" of water and it is remain there cicle after cicle, bu this time all water was gone. I replaced the water and it was gone again after next regeneration cicle.
I had similar problem several years back and one plumber suggested to me to do some manipulation with the valve, too bad I did not wright it down. That resolved it. Unfortunatly the person is not around any more. Does anybody overthere know what to do?

Old 02-09-03, 04:32 PM
I said my piece and I'm stickin to it. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT! What would you want water in there all the time for? No reason. The softener control has several parts of the cycle. One of then is to add water to the brine tank and another one is to draw the brine water out and use it to release the mineral from the resin. I hope someone else jumps in here to confirm my statement. I won't post again if you want to ask for more opinions.

Old 02-09-03, 05:18 PM
midvor,
Whether there is some water in the bottom of your brine tank or not means nothing! The water you should be concerned with is the unsoftened water which flows through your resin tank. If your water seems 'soft' at the faucet then the softener is probably working okay. Salt does not soften water, it only regenerates the ion exchange resins in the enclosed container you can't see in. The brine tank simply is the flushed salt water which cycled through the resin tank.
Like KField said 'don't worry about it'

fred

Old 02-09-03, 06:41 PM
midvor
Visiting Guest
This would of been al right, but water is not soft if there is no water. After I add more woter it starts being soft again, But I do need to add water after each regeneration cicle.
Midvor

Old 02-09-03, 08:07 PM
Midvor,
Apparently, you don't understand how a water softener works.
The water you use does NOT pass into or through your brine tank!!
Your domestic water runs through the resin tank (not the brine tank). The brine tank only recharges the resins per the cycling or demand schedule.

http://www.infras.gov.ab.ca/Content/...tion/wtc08.pdf

http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com...ftener-diagram

If your system is not softening water properly, it shoould be serviced.
fred