Sewer Cleanout

Old 02-08-03, 10:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Sewer Cleanout

Hi, All...
I have a somewhat unusual problem. At least its a little odd, to me...
In the main line of my sewer drain system, just before the septic tank, there should be a clean out, correct?

Well, where the cleanout normally would be, the previous owners of my house (I bought in May, 2002), just put a hole in the metal pipe, ran their snake, and then used some type of rubber banding around the hole in the pipe to seal it. Well, the rubber banding has disintegrated, and my waste water is running out all over the yard. To compound this, there are roots blocking the septic tank side of the drainage pipe. However, I will remedy that with an electric auger, tomorrow.

What I would like to do is, cut the metal pipe on either side of the hole, and install a pvc cleanout. (We have perpetual root problems in this area).

I guess my questions would be, what is the best way to cut the pipe and then the best way to attach a pvc "T" cleanout to the metal pipe? Can it be done with the pvc glue, after I cut out the damaged pipe?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 02-09-03, 05:40 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,701
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

You can cut cast iron drain pipe with a rented snap-cutter tool made for the purpose or a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade.


Use transition no-hub couplings to attach the PVC to the cast iron pipe.

No-Hub Couplings
Good Luck!
Old 02-09-03, 05:12 PM
Ragnar's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,295
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OldGuy's post is on the money, but the drawing unfortunately shows an error in the usage of the no hub couplings... They are designed to work on a no hub cast iron tee as shown in the drawing but they should NEVER be used on a bald piece of PVC... there is a PVC fitting called a no-hub adapter that should be glued on first to make the transition... Otherwise the PVC diameter is slightly too large and causes the coupling to buckle and will leak many times... Go to a plumbing supply store to get the appropriate materials... Ask for a cast iron no-hub tee of the appropriate size (probably 4"), a no-hub coupling of the same size, and a PVC no-hub adapter... And of course you will need a piece of 4" pipe...

I recognize that Oldguy did not draw the picture personally, so I am not correcting his post, so please don't fuss at me... I am feeling very fragile at the moment... ...

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: