2 Sump Pits in Basement???

Old 02-09-03, 06:17 AM
Torrisic
Visiting Guest
2 Sump Pits in Basement???

I'm finishing out my basment and found out that beneath my dryer (which was on a raised platform made of 2x4 framing and plywood) is an abandoned pit. Located in the southwest corner of basement.

I opened the cover and there is slow moving water in it??? It has 2 inlets (one goes south and one goes west). About 5 feet North from this location is another pit which has a typical sump pump in it. It only has 1 inlet (goes west). This pump runs all year round and typically every 15-20 minutes during a rain storm, otherwise every hour.

My question is... should I install a pump in the South pit? There wasn't one there when I moved in 4 years ago. However there must have been one there in the past since there is a spare breaker in my electrical panel labeled South Pump. Additionally, I never had water in the basement but there are 2 noticable long vertical cracks on the south wall (close to the pit).

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-03, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Let's think about this for just a moment. If your basement was full of water from a failed sump pump, would you want a dryer on top of it also?
Could it have been a sump for the washer? at one time?

One pump has been doing work for a long time. It apparently is able to work in current configuration.

Just some thoughts....

Old 02-09-03, 09:11 AM
Torrisic
Visiting Guest
Yes, I guess it could have been a sump for the washer at one time. When I bought the house they had the drain from the washer into a sink basin though.