High water pressure

Old 02-09-03, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
High water pressure

I have municipal water service, and live at a relatively low elevation with respect to the holding tower that services our area. As a result, I have very high water pressure; I've seen pressures as high as 125 psi, with the average pressure being somewhere between 115 and 120 psi.

I installed a pressure reducing valve, which works just great. I now have the water pressure set at 65 psi. The pressure, though, still creeps up at times...sometimes in excess of 100 psi. I believe this occurs when cold water in my hot water tank is heated causing expansion , hence the rise in pressure.

My question is...Is this sporadic rise in pressure something to be concerned about? If so, what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Bob2246

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-03, 02:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

A PRV creates a closed system, and you need to add an expansion tank on your water heater.
You can check Amtrol expansion tanks out here:
http://www.amtrol.com/website/conten...256A4100560735
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 02-09-03, 04:12 PM
Does the expansion tank necessarily have to be on the outlet side of the tank? Can I place it right after the PRV at the service entrance of the house?

I see the tanks made by Amtrol are all, well, tanks. What are your feelings about inline pressure tanks like those made by Watts. The model number of the one I saw was ILT-12.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 02-09-03, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The inline tanks work great, but they are far more expensive than the small tanks... Usually, it is ideal to put them at the water heater for easy access... but you can put them under the house or anywhere that is convenient as long as they are on the house side of the PRV...