toilet and vent question

Old 02-09-03, 05:21 PM
wrightr34
Visiting Guest
toilet and vent question

I actually have two questions.

The first question:
I know similiar questions have been asked by others but my problem is slightly different. I have a 2 story house with a finished basement. It has a septic tank. It is 5 years old. I have bathrooms on all three floors. I have a problem with the toilets bubbling when the washing machine or disk washer is running. The top floor toilet seems to do it the most. I do not have water coming back up through any of the drains. I am not sure what the problem is. I have been told it could be a blockage in the dain vent or the sewer line is partially glogged.

The second question:
I know drain vents usually come up through the roof. My drain vent comes out of the side of the back of the house (my house is built on the side of a hill and the backside of the house has the basement exposed. Could this cause problems with venting due to the fact that the upstairs bathroom is above the drain vent?

Thanks for your help,
Rich

Old 02-09-03, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The line out the back of the house is not likely to be the only vent if you have plumbing above it... Does the vent out the back of the house turn and go up at all? How do you know it is a vent? It would be unusual to have a vent terminate below the roof level that way? Anyway, whether that is the vent or not, I doubt it is your problem... I think you do have a drain stoppage in the main line... It can make all the plumbing gurgle as it backs up past the vent openings in the system... I would have to see the setup in your plumbing system to give a better idea of where the stoppage is, but I suspect it is outside the house toward the main sewer or septic...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: