Gas water heater goes "POP"

Old 02-09-03, 06:21 PM
raddox
Visiting Guest
Gas water heater goes "POP"

I have a 55 Gal. gas water heater which is approx 9 months old. Every time hot water is used for more that 5 minutes it makes a loud pop or bang noise. It does this every time and only once. It is almost like metal is expanding and then going BANG! Dosent leak and heats water just fine. Should I be worried and on the phone to the plumber?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-03, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could have some type of expansion going on that would cause that... Heaters make funny noises when they expand, but it is unusual that it happens only once... I have heard of cases where the little balls in the heat traps can create similar issues... Do you have two nipples sticking out of the heater with a little groove around them... They are shinier than normal... If so, they can have the little heat trap ball in them, and it can make a racket if it is getting hung up, but that is rare...

Old 02-09-03, 07:59 PM
raddox
Visiting Guest
Checked and there are no nipples only the inlet, outlet and "pop off" vavle. Has me scratching my head.....

Old 02-10-03, 06:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I worked on a water heater today, by coincidence, and it had an unnecessary check valve on it... It was in front of the thermal expansion tank... Interestingly it had a similar symptom to yours... It popped about every 5 or 10 minutes depending on usage... Of course, other check valves may be on the heater if you have a recirculation pump... Just a thought...