drilled into PVC drain line from bath tub

Old 02-10-03, 06:05 AM
WillinNJ
Visiting Guest
Unhappy drilled into PVC drain line from bath tub

I think I drilled into the PVC drain line from my upstairs bath tub (or possibly toilet) while hanging wire shelves in my laundry room. If I did hit the line, it would be a 1/4 inch hole. I will know tonight when I cut a slightly larger area in the dry wall the see what I did.

If I did drill into the line, what can I do to fix it? I am willing to cut open the wall if I have to so I can fix it the right way. I don't want this to come back and haunt me later.

Last edited by WillinNJ; 02-10-03 at 06:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-03, 06:49 AM
You can repair that with a rubber boot/patch and 2 clamps, or you can simply use some epoxy and seal the whole. There is no pressure in the pipe.

Old 02-10-03, 07:00 AM
WillinNJ
Visiting Guest
If I used a rubber boot, how would I get it around the PVC pipe? Do you mean cut the boot, wrap it around the pipe and then clamp it in place?

If I used the epoxy, what kind of epoxy should I use? And do I just put the epoxy over the hole or do I need some kind of backer like a fiber glass mesh or rubber or something?

Old 02-10-03, 08:27 AM
Cool

You can slit a Fernco coupling to slip it around the pipe. I would smear a little silicone caulk around the hole under it, though.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 02-10-03, 08:38 AM
WillinNJ
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies... now I can relax a little because I know I can do something about this if I did hit the PVC...

When I head home tonight, I am planing on cutting a 2" x 2" hole in the sheet rock around where I drilled to see what I hit. After that its off to the plumbing supply store.

Old 02-10-03, 05:28 PM
If there is no fixture at a higher point in your drainage system of your house, you really don't have a problem. You may have drilled into the vent stack headed for the roof. If so, I would go with the epoxy idea. I would suggest JB Weld, it seems to work on most anything and comes in small tubes. Even if there is a bathroom on the next floor up, you will be OK.

Or go ahead and put a plastic anchor in and the screw for the shelf, that might hold it. (Just kidding)